Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stay away from Cold Case radiators

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kylef View Post
    If you got the Rad in 2017 from Cold Case, we have made some revisions to this rad since. I put one in my 09 G8 about a year ago without issue. As far as the cap goes, they are machined correctly. It appears that the plastic threads on the cap overtime get distorted from heat. A new Rad cap screws right onto the radiator. Apologize for any issues! Cold Case also comes with a lifetime warranty as well.
    Good to know. Have very few miles on my car, but thinking of changing out to yours as proactive maintenance.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Vendors
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    Thanks for the follow-up info. If y'all really have updated the design and fixed the issues, I'd be interested in getting a warranty replacement and trying it out. I guess I'll give the office a call tomorrow. The warranty section on the website mentions an online form you can fill out, but when I submitted the form it just said "thank you for validating your warranty."
    The online "warranty" section is only to validate the warranty. You will need to call in for a warranty claim. Call in and ask for Kyle, I will be glad to assist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kylef View Post
    The online "warranty" section is only to validate the warranty. You will need to call in for a warranty claim. Call in and ask for Kyle, I will be glad to assist
    So potential buyers are taking you on the word that the issues have been fixed.

Fact: ColdCase.com site still shows the same picture depicting the G8 radiator with the same problems highlighted by others here.
    Issues:
    1) lower tube at wrong angle - others had to heat and bend the tube up to clear the frame; [still at wrong angle, BIG ISSUE]
    2) upper clip retainer too large - others add rubber shims or bend the thin bar down; [minor issue]
    3) lower fan tabs appear too deep and fan shroud tabs floats - others add rubber shims; [minor issue]
    4) location of the trans cooler lines off by 0.75" - bent tubes of trans line was misaligned with molded fan shroud; [P.I.T.A.]
    5) plastic radiator cap threads cut by metal threads - cannot assess cap threads though without buying product now. [fixed?]

I contacted a tech at there site via their IM. I inquired if they have more recent pictures of the "fixed" product for the G8? Nope. Was told the picture was current. I think the tech finally had enough questions of fitment... and finally said to go buy the OEM for the exact fit. That is zero confidence in a product. Plus 6-8 weeks wait from China too. So I will take my $430 elsewhere. Don't play the pay-for-shipping game with them just to take that chance and waste time/money. The headache is not worth it for a two-row. Heating up their radiator to bend the tube voids the warranty, because you might have caused other structural damage that will cause a leak later. Maybe some ColdCase models work great and match OEM nearly 100% for other vehicles, however; not for the G8 crowd. We are a small bunch. Only < 200 for sale any given week nation wide. Looking to go with the Mishmoto radiator now. CSF does not support Pontiac now.