Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay away from Cold Case radiators

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay away from Cold Case radiators

To preface this, I do not like leaving negative reviews, especially for small businesses that support the automotive community. But with that said, these radiators have some major flaws that need to be addressed and are not worth the hassle for how expensive they are.

Short backstory, I had my OEM radiator upper outlet crack/split (common issue) and ordered a Cold Case replacement. Shipping time was normal, but the packaging was pretty insufficient for a ~$400 radiator. Very little padding to protect it.

It did arrive safely, but I immediately noticed it had a dent in the top of the polished aluminum. The box was not damaged and the styrofoam protecting it was in tact. It was polished over, so clearly a manufactuing defect. No big deal, Cold Case emailed me back about a week later telling me they were filing a UPS damage claim. I'm not sure why when it clearly wasn't a shipping issue, but that was their decision.

I needed to get my car done ASAP, so I opted to just deal with the dent and get my car drive-able again. That's when a plethora of issues came about. Here's what I found:

-The radiator cap threads are not correctly machined, and cut plastic threads that dropped into the coolant system. You have to force the cap on the first 1 or 2 times you tighten it, which basically chases the plastic threads to match the aluminum radiator threads.

-The passenger transmission cooler fitting leaks. I am going to try re re-seal it again with some PTFE tape but it seems like the quick disconnect is leaking, not the threads.

-The lower coolant hose inlet hit the frame, it's not even close to fitting. I had to heat it with a torch and carefully bend it about 3/4". The black line here is where it was located originally, before bending

-The fan mounting brackets are not remotely close to holding the radiator in securely. I had to shim every single bracket with a piece of 1/4" high temp rubber.

-The filler neck is not in the OEM location

I did not have time to wait 2-3 weeks for a new radiator which is why I opted to suck it up and deal with these issues. Going back, I should've sent this back for a refund and bought a new OEM radiator. It was an absoulte headache to get this to fit.

Cold Case did respond to my concern over the lower inlet not fitting, to which they replied:

With some G8s, modifications must still be necessary to the frame.
    There is really no rhyme or reason. Some fit perfect and some hit the frame.
    To me this isn't an excuse to sell an aftermarket "drop in" radiator. And suggesting your customers to modify/weaken a structural member on your vehicle is absurd.

Buy these at your own risk.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need a new rad, but I was happy to see these hit the market on the off chance that I ever would need to replace my stocker. Sad to see it's basically not a reliable option for those who need a radiator replacement. Time to start stockpiling stock parts, I guess.

Thanks for the heads up and detailed review.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Too bad! I was told they fit the GT but not the GXP. ???

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have input on the fit for those with tilted rads and otr intakes?
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I don't have fitment issues with their hoses..
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    I don't need a new rad, but I was happy to see these hit the market on the off chance that I ever would need to replace my stocker. Sad to see it's basically not a reliable option for those who need a radiator replacement. Time to start stockpiling stock parts, I guess.

Thanks for the heads up and detailed review.
    I fully agree, unfortunately your only options are the stock plastic rad's that inevitably crack, or roll the dice on one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    WOW! Too bad! I was told they fit the GT but not the GXP. ???
    I vaguely remember reading the exact opposite somewhere, mine is an 08 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyGT View Post
    I hope I don't have fitment issues with their hoses..
    I would hope they can't fawk up a couple silicone hoses, but you never know lol

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same neck brake issue. Bought the cold case and had it put in by my mechanic. He didn't mention any issues. But then the rad started leaking. So I sent it back for warranty but I needed the car so I had to buy a oem and get that in. Now I have a brand new cold case still in box. =O(

Post Thanks / Like

I had the exact same issues with a Cold Case radiator as the original poster. Also an '08 GT. I bought mine from G8Only around the same time (April 2017), so it may have been from the same manufacturing run. It took almost 6 weeks to ship because they were back-ordered from Cold Case at the time, so I got mine in late May 2017. Like the original poster, I just dealt with the issues and installed it anyway. I don't drive the car that often, so a few months had passed by the time I got around to installing it, and I didn't think I'd be able to return it at that point.

For those wondering about installing these with an OTR intake, mine went in tilted with a Vararam. This didn't present any additional issues on top of what the OP describes, but the lower outlet still hits the frame rail out of the box, the fan mounts have to be shimmed or zip-tied on, and the cap threads are AFU. Would not recommend.

I could've lived with all of this until the core started leaking a few months ago. Now it's going to the scrap pile. I have to wonder if Cold Case fixed any of these issues since then, but I'm not giving them a second try. Looks like G8Only now lists Mishimoto radiators for the VE Commodore... I'll start a new thread on that.
    Trogdor, the Burninator - 2008 G8 GT. 376/480 LS3 crate, Vararam intake, Kooks headers, Unidentified full exhaust, and a particularly realistic "flame job."

Vendors
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    I had the exact same issues with a Cold Case radiator as the original poster. Also an '08 GT. I bought mine from G8Only around the same time (April 2017), so it may have been from the same manufacturing run. It took almost 6 weeks to ship because they were back-ordered from Cold Case at the time, so I got mine in late May 2017. Like the original poster, I just dealt with the issues and installed it anyway. I don't drive the car that often, so a few months had passed by the time I got around to installing it, and I didn't think I'd be able to return it at that point.

For those wondering about installing these with an OTR intake, mine went in tilted with a Vararam. This didn't present any additional issues on top of what the OP describes, but the lower outlet still hits the frame rail out of the box, the fan mounts have to be shimmed or zip-tied on, and the cap threads are AFU. Would not recommend.

I could've lived with all of this until the core started leaking a few months ago. Now it's going to the scrap pile. I have to wonder if Cold Case fixed any of these issues since then, but I'm not giving them a second try. Looks like G8Only now lists Mishimoto radiators for the VE Commodore... I'll start a new thread on that.

If you got the Rad in 2017 from Cold Case, we have made some revisions to this rad since. I put one in my 09 G8 about a year ago without issue. As far as the cap goes, they are machined correctly. It appears that the plastic threads on the cap overtime get distorted from heat. A new Rad cap screws right onto the radiator. Apologize for any issues! Cold Case also comes with a lifetime warranty as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow-up info. If y'all really have updated the design and fixed the issues, I'd be interested in getting a warranty replacement and trying it out. I guess I'll give the office a call tomorrow. The warranty section on the website mentions an online form you can fill out, but when I submitted the form it just said "thank you for validating your warranty."
    Trogdor, the Burninator - 2008 G8 GT. 376/480 LS3 crate, Vararam intake, Kooks headers, Unidentified full exhaust, and a particularly realistic "flame job."