Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFM/DOD OE repair

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AFM/DOD OE repair

Hello!
    I have a developing DOD tick/knock and I would like to do a DOD lifter replacement instead of scrapping DOD and going with a DOD delete kit. I want to get the job done as quickly and inexpensively as possible but without getting poor quality parts. I read through the stickies and other threads and it seems that few people do a replacement with OE parts so I just need to figure out a few things for that procedure.

I know that I need 8 new DOD lifters, 2 head gaskets, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, and possibly valve cover gaskets but I am not sure about the rest...

Here are my questions:
    1. I was reading in an LS engine tech article that it is not necessary to remove the intake manifold to get the heads off. Is that true?
    2. What other parts would I need to do the job? I have seen intake manifold gaskets that look like rubber rectangles and others that have an aluminum or composite structure but I don't know if I need either or both.
    3. Does anyone have a head removal/head install guide or FSM procedure for the L76?
    4. I would like to avoid machine work on the head but is that necessary for a straightforward install/removal?

Thank you for any input and have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like

There will be many more parts you will need to replace and want to replace when doing a DOD delete.

You can PM Greg@PacePerformance in regard to the parts you will need. http://paceperformance.com/i-1198899...elete-kit.html

You can also do a custom cam from Pat G.

Napalm and LDM just recently went through this. Maybe they will chime in to give their opinion too.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madmax032 View Post
    Hello!
    I have a developing DOD tick/knock and I would like to do a DOD lifter replacement instead of scrapping DOD and going with a DOD delete kit. I want to get the job done as quickly and inexpensively as possible but without getting poor quality parts. I read through the stickies and other threads and it seems that few people do a replacement with OE parts so I just need to figure out a few things for that procedure.

I know that I need 8 new DOD lifters, 2 head gaskets, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, and possibly valve cover gaskets but I am not sure about the rest...

Here are my questions:
    1. I was reading in an LS engine tech article that it is not necessary to remove the intake manifold to get the heads off. Is that true?
    2. What other parts would I need to do the job? I have seen intake manifold gaskets that look like rubber rectangles and others that have an aluminum or composite structure but I don't know if I need either or both.
    3. Does anyone have a head removal/head install guide or FSM procedure for the L76?
    4. I would like to avoid machine work on the head but is that necessary for a straightforward install/removal?

Thank you for any input and have a great day!
    1. I don't see how you can get the heads off without removing the intake manifold.
    2. Head bolts should not be reused. I would go with ARP bolts.
    3. The removal is straight forward. Install is just the torque pattern on the heads. I believe it is 2 passes.
    4.the heads should be fine,no machine work. You could just wire brush the carbon off the valves
    Like mongo said just call Greg @pace
    The intake manifold will be torqued in inch pound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Default AFM/DOD OE repair

Go to
    Forum
    G8 Tech
    V8 L76/LS3
    Stickied V8 L76 threads

Last edited by travis gore; 06-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

MongosG8: I actually don't want to delete DOD (just fix it) so I am hoping that I do not need too many more parts! Would Pace Performance offer parts for my smaller job?

Thanks for your answers to those questions Travis! I totally forgot to list the head bolts...that would really suck to be missing at reassembly time. Time to buy a torque angle gauge! Also, I guess I perused through the stickies too fast and failed to notice the torque sequence on the heads. Doh!

Since (i think) I have to loosen the rockers, do I need to buy new rocker bolts too?

Post Thanks / Like

Since (i think) I have to loosen the rockers, do I need to buy new rocker bolts too?
    No

7. Thanks madmax032 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MongosG8: I actually don't want to delete DOD (just fix it) so I am hoping that I do not need too many more parts! Would Pace Performance offer parts for my smaller job?
    I understand .. Im not having issues yet but I figured I would think about some preventive maintenance later on. I do not trust the internals that support the DOD.

And Yes ..Greg @ Pace can help you get started.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? Can you do the work yourself? I have a low mileage complete DOD package available.

Intake comes off. My suggestion is to change the oil now. Send a sample to have tested. You will want to know how much metal is in your oil before you start a tear down.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 06-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in Northern Virginia so sadly, a little far from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just do a DOD delete and use a stock GM LS3 cam? I did this in mine with and spent around $600. That was with sourcing out a used LS3 cam off the Camaro forums. I ended up find a used cam with 18k on it for $100 and that included the valve springs. I got my DOD kit from Texas-speed that was only $480 but that didn't include shipping since I was able to pick it up from them. I think you would be better off doing a delete rather than replacing.