Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: DIY VIM unlock, enable Reverse Cam for v9, and other radio tweaks

Post Thanks / Like

Got my reverse cam install all buttoned up and the car back together. I still need to adjust the angle of the reverse cam a little bit. All the wiring is hidden and overall, I think it turned out pretty good.

I was able to hide the rca cables and the HDMI to RCA converter box behind the side panel of the radio on the passenger's side. There's actually quite a bit of room back there underneath the radio and behind the center stack. I have an HDMI cord running from the converter box into the glove box. I haven't figured out what I'm going to run for video playback yet, but when I do everything is already wired.

Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for you to get your hands on a series 2 setup. Im curious as to what else can be changed in my iq system. Also waiting for you to start messing with aus only clusters I have a few 3 window options in mind
    2009.1 SBM/Onyx GT Premium/no sport/no roof
    Procharged, cam'd, stalled
    219/234 .619 114lsa
    Tuned by New Era Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lvgmman View Post
    Waiting for you to get your hands on a series 2 setup. Im curious as to what else can be changed in my iq system. Also waiting for you to start messing with aus only clusters I have a few 3 window options in mind
    I don't foresee either of those happening any time soon. I never intended to just start collecting and hacking all the possible electronics. I just had a project in mind with an Android car PC, and needed to get VIM unlocked. I decided to learn it myself, and just started exploring other possible options while I was in there unlocking VIM. I'll give the Atari gauges and flashing V9 firmware a try soon, but that's about the extent of what I'm planning.
    | Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 |

5. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but think how cool it would be to have an HSV cluster lol
    2009.1 SBM/Onyx GT Premium/no sport/no roof
    Procharged, cam'd, stalled
    219/234 .619 114lsa
    Tuned by New Era Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Dam I never thought I would not be happy with a V8, but my radio is, I work for GM vehicles and I can only program the radio per vin, and will always show V8, I believe I need another radio and hope its a V9, unless a chip with V9 programming, not sure, dam I was just all set to order the programming equpmnt. Any Thoughts ?
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TA427 View Post
    Dam I never thought I would not be happy with a V8, but my radio is, I work for GM vehicles and I can only program the radio per vin, and will always show V8, I believe I need another radio and hope its a V9, unless a chip with V9 programming, not sure, dam I was just all set to order the programming equpmnt. Any Thoughts ?
    On the other board Chris White from White Automotive and Media Services states that he can upgrade the radio versions, but it requires you to ship your radio in. For the time being, I think that's your only option.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ster...ml#post3470745
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 90% of my hardware and a spare 08 test radio to learn how to upgrade to V9, but I can promise you, it won't be doable for the average DIY modder. It's going to need some fine soldering skills. I don't think I'll be releasing a public guide for this one, once I get it figured out.

10. Thanks Steve thanked for this post
    Likes Steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you will prob be replacing an ic or more for a V9 upgrade ? I can definately solder anything, including ct. Boards, as its part of my career, and would'nt mind helping others out if possible. That decision is up to you, as no one would assume you would remotely be responsible.Thanks for your exceptional genious.
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
    I don't foresee either of those happening any time soon. I never intended to just start collecting and hacking all the possible electronics. I just had a project in mind with an Android car PC, and needed to get VIM unlocked. I decided to learn it myself, and just started exploring other possible options while I was in there unlocking VIM. I'll give the Atari gauges and flashing V9 firmware a try soon, but that's about the extent of what I'm planning.
    Nice! - You would've been right at home on carmodder.com - too bad that's all about died down.. we were doing custom boot screens for both G8 and IQ Radios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wSUVgRgArA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMaF8f7wHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0H0Gd9zy5E

Hoping you at least found the GM Lan Bible that's floating out there?
    -= R.I.P Charlie =-
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT 888 Edition #470
    Texas-Speed 418 LS3, Patrick G 234/242 114LSA+2 Cam & Livernois Ported Heads & Valve-job, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Fasterproms Ported TB & Manifold, ECM/TCM Tune by PatrickG, 1-7/8" American Racing Headers, Circle-D 258mm 2800rpm Converter, Powerbond 25% Pulley, Pedders xA Street II Kit, HSV VE GTS Fenders, HSV VE GTS 20" Wheels (285/30 & 245/35), 20% Tint, Holden Rear Sunshade, Empty Wallet Mod(tm)
    http://g8gt.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Nice! - You would've been right at home on carmodder.com - too bad that's all about died down.. we were doing custom boot screens for both G8 and IQ Radios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wSUVgRgArA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMaF8f7wHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0H0Gd9zy5E

Hoping you at least found the GM Lan Bible that's floating out there?
    Steve I've ran across a lot of your threads but your blog is appears to be down? I'd love to venture into custom boot logos too. Would you be willing to share any info on it?

I have the GMLAN Bible but haven't built a CAN sniffer yet. Future project for sure, just taking one step at a time.