Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 78/75 turbo build

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome progress!!!! I say video of this thing starting up or it didn't happen lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man, as long as it doesn't blow up there will be more than just a startup vid.

Got the little odds and ends squared away, engine bay is 99% done. Really itching to start this thing now and finally get this thing off jack stands.

3. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a little time to work in the shop today, got the 3.5 to dual 3" split fabbed

Post Thanks / Like

It's alive. Perfect weather for tuning this weekend too.

6. Thanks Cole Trickle thanked for this post
    Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work. I miss my turbo, but not all that heat I had with it. Even the outside temp sensor was affected.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. I just read your turbo thread Ray, I'm surprised it heat soaked the engine bay that badly. I used some cheap fiberglass wrap I can already tell I got what I paid for. I've got an IR temp gun on the way, and I might re-wrap with some DEI and see what the temperature difference is. Im in AZ so heat is something I will definitely be battling, even though this thing won't be driven much if at all when it's 110+ degrees.

I also saw your thread about the fire, which is my worst nightmare. Was yours an aftermarket fitting that failed or the OEM quick disconnect?

I've always been leary of the clip-on AN fittings, and after reading your thread, I ordered 2 of the updated style with threaded locks instead of the plastic clips. Also going to be mounting a fire extinguisher in the car probably right behind the center console or on the passenger floor board. I'm surprised more people don't, honestly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Thanks fellas. I just read your turbo thread Ray, I'm surprised it heat soaked the engine bay that badly. I used some cheap fiberglass wrap I can already tell I got what I paid for. I've got an IR temp gun on the way, and I might re-wrap with some DEI and see what the temperature difference is. Im in AZ so heat is something I will definitely be battling, even though this thing won't be driven much if at all when it's 110+ degrees.

I also saw your thread about the fire, which is my worst nightmare. Was yours an aftermarket fitting that failed or the OEM quick disconnect?

I've always been leary of the clip-on AN fittings, and after reading your thread, I ordered 2 of the updated style with threaded locks instead of the plastic clips. Also going to be mounting a fire extinguisher in the car probably right behind the center console or on the passenger floor board. I'm surprised more people don't, honestly.
    I had everything wrapped with DEI. The fire sucked. I did all the work and had no one to back me up and look at it. It was a Fragola push on connector. It popped off the fuel rail. A fire Extinguisher is a Must. I bought a laser thermometer.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    I had everything wrapped with DEI. The fire sucked. I did all the work and had no one to back me up and look at it. It was a Fragola push on connector. It popped off the fuel rail. A fire Extinguisher is a Must. I bought a laser thermometer.
    Rays the one who got me to replace 3 push on fittings in mine with the new version... And hopefully countless others...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

12. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's not the first time I've heard of those fittings failing. I wonder if it's a mfg defect or the clips not being full seated, but either way it's a half assed design.. Like I said, I've got 2 of the threaded fittings on the way to replace them with, I should've just ordered them from the get go.

Good and bad news from today. Good news is the motor isn't a virgin anymore and finally saw boost. I was tickling 1-2psi at half throttlee and 2500rpm, this thing wants to light that quickly

Bad news is the crossover needs to be redesigned. It was hard to judge ground clearance on jack stands, and it hangs way too low, I already scraped it a few times and it's going to get destroyed eventually. Right now it hangs way too far below the crossmember, and is a full 2.25" tube. My plan is to neck down to an ovaled 2" tube and get it 1/8" or 1/4" max from the k member. Either that or Ill find a way to route it over the k member somehow. And no Im not worried about flow, this is a low boost build and the wastegate is on this same up pipe, plenty of people have built more power on dual 2" up pipes.

Other small issue was not having enough breather. With only the valley plate vented to atmosphere, the CC was building pressure, turbo wasn't draining, and it looked like I seafoamed a 400k mile engine. I popped the cap off the passenger valve cover and the exhaust is squeaky clean now, all good there.

Also, I'm really regretting being a cheap ass and should've bought DEI wrap. The chinese shit smokes like crazy and give me a heart attack everytime I pop the hood. I'm really tempted to just rewrap everything with DEI while I have half the hot side off.

Overall Im happy. Ill rebuild the crossover, fill it with some corn juice, and push it hard next weekend.