Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible move to phoenix area

Post Thanks / Like

Default possible move to phoenix area

The wife and I are looking to move here. She can transfer with her company. I would need to find work when I get there. I have built hot tubs/spas for the last 28 years. There is a spa manufacturer in Chandler. I have started reaching out through my contacts in the industry to see if I can start working there.
    To those who live in the area what do you think of the area?
    What parts of town should I stay away from? Every city has them lol
    I have never been to the Phoenix are so I have no idea. We were looking last night for houses online. The price of houses seem to be very close to Indianapolis,well slightly higher.
    Would you recommend someone to move to this area?
    How is the car scene in that area?
    Is there a cars & coffee?
    The G8 will be coming with me.
    Drag strip near there? Not that I have ever done this with the G8,but a guy has to keep his options open :-)
    Are there any members that live in this area?
    Any info would be most appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    The wife and I are looking to move here. She can transfer with her company. I would need to find work when I get there. I have built hot tubs/spas for the last 28 years. There is a spa manufacturer in Chandler. I have started reaching out through my contacts in the industry to see if I can start working there.
    To those who live in the area what do you think of the area?
    What parts of town should I stay away from? Every city has them lol
    I have never been to the Phoenix are so I have no idea. We were looking last night for houses online. The price of houses seem to be very close to Indianapolis,well slightly higher.
    Would you recommend someone to move to this area?
    How is the car scene in that area?
    Is there a cars & coffee?
    The G8 will be coming with me.
    Drag strip near there? Not that I have ever done this with the G8,but a guy has to keep his options open :-)
    Are there any members that live in this area?
    Any info would be most appreciated

I've visited twice. Its an incredible area. Tons to do, beautiful weather, and it's a relatively "new" city.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

3. Likes travis gore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a place in north Scottsdale to start the multi-year process of finally getting out of Chicago. If you are in the pool/spa business it's the place to be....my wife wants to put in a "spool" in a year or two.... I like the north side of Phoenix/Scottsdale, near the Carefree/Cave Creek area; always have. But I know people who live in suburbs in every direction and love it. Do it Travis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PBM #608 of 888 -- All Stock!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyban View Post
    Just bought a place in north Scottsdale to start the multi-year process of finally getting out of Chicago. If you are in the pool/spa business it's the place to be....my wife wants to put in a "spool" in a year or two.... I like the north side of Phoenix/Scottsdale, near the Carefree/Cave Creek area; always have. But I know people who live in suburbs in every direction and love it. Do it Travis!

Thanks for the advice. We are looking at Mesa or chandler. Our jobs are both in Chandler. If all works out. When we get settled we should meet up.

2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

6. Likes jimmyban liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did the Chicago to Phoenix move last year as well, absolutely love it out here. No snow or rust but it does get hot as hell, almost literally.

The east/south east valley (Mesa Chandler etc) has a lot of industry and job opportunities, and is near the downtown area and only 30-40 mins from the north valley.

I currently live way out in the NW valley and love it out here, but there is no job market out here aside from retail really. The west valley seems more suited for families and has more affordable housing. The downside is the so-so job market. I honestly can't wait to move to the east side, just to open some doors for my career.

And speaking of families, if you have kids start looking into private schooling or good districts. The Public school system out here is horrendous.

There really aren't many "bad" areas out here like you see around metro Chicago or Indy. You can be in a gated community, and drive 3 blocks down and be in the ghetto.

I agree that the north side is very nice, but you're going to pay for it. Land is hard to come by as well unless you pay for it ($$$), or commute 30+ mins and live on the outskirts of the valley. I do the latter and absolutely love it, but everybody is different.

When you do move, plan it when it's later in the year and only 100ish or cooler. Youl have all winter to enjoy the area, and when it starts warming up in the late spring you won't be shocked by the 110+ temps if you move here in July.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 04-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. My wife's transfer has gone through,however we are still waiting on a firm date. I was fired on April 10th,my wife's birthday #VickiesHusband lol. It was mutual between the owner and myself. I can live with that decision. It is a little disappointing after 28 years with the same company. You door must close before another one can open.
    We have decided to rent an apartment for a year,just to get a lay of the land so to speak. I just don't want to be rushed into buying the first house I find. At 47 years old I think this will be my last home purchase. The apartment will be less than a mile from my wife's job,so she loves that.
    I can't wait to get out there and get going. This stuck in limbo is not working well for me.
    The house is just about ready to sell. Good thing is our area is hot right now. Inventory is low so houses are selling in only a couple of days here.
    I was told that I need to buy a razor when I get there. Many miles of trails in the desert. Boys and their toys.
    My wife is really excited about the move so.......happy wife,happy life
    I will look you up when we make it out.

Still not sure on how to get there. Was going to rent truck and trailer,but may do a pod type move and ship the G ride. Still pricing out the different options. Either way we are going
    Looks like sometime in June.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the job man, hope you at least get a good reference out of it. Also sorry to hear you're moving in June lol. If you can tolerate the heat for the 3 months though, youl love it out here.

Sounds like a solid plan, I ended up renting as well and am really glad I did for the reasons you listed.

I would shoot for 1 trip whatever option you take, IMO. I drove my truck and g8 out first, then drove back to IL with my truck and bought a 24' enclosed trailer to haul my shop/tools/crawler. 4500 miles in a little over a month, it wasn't fun lol. I also sold all my furniature, and just bought nice Craigslist stuff here. I basically broke even and didn't have to haul a bunch of bulky furniature.

I really regret putting those miles on my g8 cross country btw, if you can tow it I would, but that's just my opinion.

Definitely hit me up when you're out here. My backyard is public land with some trails actually, the desert gets addicting and expensive haha. Razors are stupid common out here for sure. I built a rock crawler to scratch that itch, but the razors are appealing for the "buy it now" factor and you can just go have fun. There's also a few lakes around, so you see toy haulers, campers, and boats on an almost daily basis on the freeways around here.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 04-19-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

^ thanks for the advice. We are getting closer. We sign papers with the relator today. I sold my house yesterday and it was not even on the market. It worked out well for both parties. I still had about $2k worth of work left to do. My neighbors friend bought it. He is a contractor so we worked a deal for "as is". We will be leaving in June,his lease is up in July. So we can close anytime in June. I could have held out for more money,but we are both happy. I have been off work for 6 weeks and it is literally driving me crazy. I will just go to a temp service and work until we leave.
    I can't buy a razor until we get a house,since I won't have room for it.The apartment we are renting has a garage,so the G ride will have a place to stay as well.
    It is really crazy how this is all working out. From my wife coming home to say let's move to Arizona to becoming a reality. God must have a plan,because things are going to smoothly.
    I still have not finalized my job situation yet,but it will be fine. As soon as we get a firm date I can restart my dialogue with the spa company there. Everything else has fallen in to place so this will to.

If it is meant to be,it shall be # Patience

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! You will love it here. We just spent all of April into May here and can't believe we are actually going back north! But, both our moms live there etc. We will be back in fall for sure. Let's try to get together and talk G8s....by then you will be hooked.

PBM #608 of 888 -- All Stock!

12. Likes travis gore, -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good