Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Looking for Insights for 4L80e conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Insights for 4L80e conversion

For those that have done the conversion to the 4 speed automatic, what year of 4L80e are you using? In other words, are you using the case from 91 - 98 OR 99 & later?

Also, what did you use for a crossmember or an adapter to mount?
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Premium Package, PBM
    Engine - Stroked 402CI, WCCH Stage 2 L92 Heads, EPS Cam, BTR Springs, ARH Headers, Roto-Fab 4" CAI, FAST, Direct Port NOS, Tuned by Twisted Synergy
    Drivetrain - YANK SS 3200 Stall, 3.45 Camaro Diff with TrueTrac
    Suspension - BMR Subframe Connectors, Tunnel Brace, Sway Bars; Spohn Control, Trailing, & Toe Arms

2014 Chevy SS - PBM, Sunroof, Spare, LSA Supercharger, BTR Cam & Springs, NewEra CTSV CAI, AEM Methanol, Tuned by Twisted Synergy

Post Thanks / Like

THere are two camps on this.. some prefer the newer some prefer the older... mainly due to the lube circuit... builders are picky on which ones they touch...

I am using the earlier one from my memory..

as for the trans brace, we modified mine with the stock brace.. just moved and added some holes and a plate... fairly straight forward... but you could just do custom fully if you wanted to... any fab guy could wip you up one...

Why are you looking to go 4L80?.. I think a 6L90 swap would be alot better option....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

3. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    THere are two camps on this.. some prefer the newer some prefer the older... mainly due to the lube circuit... builders are picky on which ones they touch...

I am using the earlier one from my memory..

as for the trans brace, we modified mine with the stock brace.. just moved and added some holes and a plate... fairly straight forward... but you could just do custom fully if you wanted to... any fab guy could wip you up one...

Why are you looking to go 4L80?.. I think a 6L90 swap would be alot better option....
    Looking at going to 6L90 in the SS. For the G8, current 6L80 will not make it through the season, so going with 4L80 so I can stop worrying about it. Also going with the DSS 9" rear and 4.10 gears.
    Engine - Stroked 402CI, WCCH Stage 2 L92 Heads, EPS Cam, BTR Springs, ARH Headers, Roto-Fab 4" CAI, FAST, Direct Port NOS, Tuned by Twisted Synergy
    Suspension - BMR Subframe Connectors, Tunnel Brace, Sway Bars; Spohn Control, Trailing, & Toe Arms

2014 Chevy SS - PBM, Sunroof, Spare, LSA Supercharger, BTR Cam & Springs, NewEra CTSV CAI, AEM Methanol, Tuned by Twisted Synergy

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic! I used an adapter. I'm wondering your opinion)
    Verizon Customer Service hours
    Last edited by next711; 02-09-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateNYG8GT View Post
    Looking at going to 6L90 in the SS. For the G8, current 6L80 will not make it through the season, so going with 4L80 so I can stop worrying about it. Also going with the DSS 9" rear and 4.10 gears.
    4.10 gear?... ouch.... if you have alot of power you may as well forget taking off.... and wont have a very good top end... at the drag strip your not supposed to use 4th on a 4l80 or you will blow it up... ask me how i know... and in 3rd you will only get up to about 130 mph at 7000rpm.... or less mph depending on how much slip you have...

just something to think about..
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

7. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    4.10 gear?... ouch.... if you have alot of power you may as well forget taking off.... and wont have a very good top end... at the drag strip your not supposed to use 4th on a 4l80 or you will blow it up... ask me how i know... and in 3rd you will only get up to about 130 mph at 7000rpm.... or less mph depending on how much slip you have...

just something to think about..
    Considering I have been running 3.45's with the 6L80, it seemed that 4.10 would be right for the 4L80. What are you running? This is a stroked 402 with NOS and shifting at 6,700 rpms.