Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C belt "fix" problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A/C belt "fix" problem?

Hi all,

Several months ago, I bought and installed the updated compressor bracket with the added idler pulley that CrazyPaul sells here. Prior to the install, it was obvious that the tensioner had struck the compressor pulley as it was chipped.

Since the install, everything seemed fine until about a month ago when I started hearing a strange groaning noise when the a/c was running. At first, it was only when the a/c was running, later it started doing it all of time, though not as loud with the a/c off. Following is an audio recording. It's mostly noticeable at higher RPM.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ci28wg...se_outside.mp3

My initial suspicion was the compressor or the compressor pulley bearings so I took the pulley off to inspect the bearings and they seemed fine. Smooth quiet movement and no play. I'm prepared to replace the compressor but it goes without saying that I'd like to eliminate all other potential causes before I do.

So, my first question is... Has anyone else had problems with the pulleys on the new bracket?

Secondly, what is the likelihood that either of those pulleys could be causing this noise?

Thanks.
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RuLEoF2 View Post
    Hi all,

Several months ago, I bought and installed the updated compressor bracket with the added idler pulley that CrazyPaul sells here. Prior to the install, it was obvious that the tensioner had struck the compressor pulley as it was chipped.

Since the install, everything seemed fine until about a month ago when I started hearing a strange groaning noise when the a/c was running. At first, it was only when the a/c was running, later it started doing it all of time, though not as loud with the a/c off. Following is an audio recording. It's mostly noticeable at higher RPM.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ci28wg...se_outside.mp3

My initial suspicion was the compressor or the compressor pulley bearings so I took the pulley off to inspect the bearings and they seemed fine. Smooth quiet movement and no play. I'm prepared to replace the compressor but it goes without saying that I'd like to eliminate all other potential causes before I do.

So, my first question is... Has anyone else had problems with the pulleys on the new bracket?

Secondly, what is the likelihood that either of those pulleys could be causing this noise?

Thanks.
    I haven't had any problems with the updated part and have probably run it 100k miles. It's always possible it could be bearings in an idler. I'd use a stethoscope (cheap at Harbor Freight) and put the end on each bolt of the idlers if you can get to them...can't remember sitting here in the house if you can access them. Listen while running and that should help pinpoint the sound...also listen to the compressor.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look at the bearings in the idler pulley myself. It could be the top one, or it could be the lower ones. It's common for them to go bad.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

my 2009 G8 GT keeps spitting the belt off the AC seemingly after a hard pass. is updated compressor bracket perhaps a fix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I'd look at the bearings in the idler pulley myself. It could be the top one, or it could be the lower ones. It's common for them to go bad.
    What's the best way to determine if the idler bearings are bad?
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

They'll usually howl! Get a mechanics stethoscope and start probing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a upper and lower. No idler only a tensioner (New)
    2009 G8 GT mostly stock
    2014 Challenger RT 5.7 Hemi 6 speed manual
    1987 S-10 Truck 283 TPI 700r4 3:42 posi
    1984 S-10 Blazer 87 Iroc 350 roller 700r4 4wd
    1957 Chevy Belair 2 dr hardtop to get an LS and 6 speed

Post Thanks / Like

Default AC Bracket Fix ??

Greg at Pace performance is saying that this is the bracket I need

http://paceperformance.com/i-9892584...r-bracket.html

This bracket is listed as a 2011 to 2013 Caprice and if Im reading crazypauls posts correctly, this wont work
    2009 G8 GT mostly stock

Post Thanks / Like

Greg won't steer you wrong. That's the one I installed. CP is no longer in business but I'm sure he'd confirm. Once belt throwing happens it usually starts happening very often. Iirc some have reported damage to crank pulley from a thrown belt. the upgraded pulley piece is considered a good value per dollar purchase.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

10. Likes pir4te liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Leon, That's what I wanted to hear. Someone who used it successfully and it fit. its in such a bad spot, I didn't want to experiment. Royce
    2009 G8 GT mostly stock

12. Likes Eli liked this post