Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Tensioner Fix

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tensioner Fix

After doing a lot of internet research yesterday I came to the conclusion that the tensioner that I bought after breaking mine at the 1/2 mile event was the exact same part number- Gates 38131. Lucky I guess. This is what is used as a heavy duty tensioner for Maggies it seems. The design was completely different though than the previous one I broke. O'Reilley auto parts still shows a picture of the previous design for the 38131. The previous had an angled arm that cleared the problematic bolt. In general manufacturers do not make changes to parts if they are trouble free. The new design seems a lot beefier. I would not be able to buy the old version, nor would I want to. I needed to figure out a way to make the new version work. First step today was buying a regular hex bolt rather than a hex flange bolt. This gave more clearance for the arm. I installed it and the tensioner arm cleared but barely rubbed. This would be trouble when the tensioner is flexing under load. I was going to have to have the bracket machined so I would have more clearance. Then I got to thinking that it is just aluminum, that I have a drill press, a woodworking forsner bit and a selection of clamps. I got the part clamped down firmly and got to cutting with my redneck machinery. The pocket I cut turned out beautifly. The bolt head now clears and I am back in the business of breaking parts, I mean racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    After doing a lot of internet research yesterday I came to the conclusion that the tensioner that I bought after breaking mine at the 1/2 mile event was the exact same part number- Gates 38131. Lucky I guess. This is what is used as a heavy duty tensioner for Maggies it seems. The design was completely different though than the previous one I broke. O'Reilley auto parts still shows a picture of the previous design for the 38131. The previous had an angled arm that cleared the problematic bolt. In general manufacturers do not make changes to parts if they are trouble free. The new design seems a lot beefier. I would not be able to buy the old version, nor would I want to. I needed to figure out a way to make the new version work. First step today was buying a regular hex bolt rather than a hex flange bolt. This gave more clearance for the arm. I installed it and the tensioner arm cleared but barely rubbed. This would be trouble when the tensioner is flexing under load. I was going to have to have the bracket machined so I would have more clearance. Then I got to thinking that it is just aluminum, that I have a drill press, a woodworking forsner bit and a selection of clamps. I got the part clamped down firmly and got to cutting with my redneck machinery. The pocket I cut turned out beautifly. The bolt head now clears and I am back in the business of breaking parts, I mean racing.
    Preach brother preach!! What happened?
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that was a "dipsh*t" response with the picture clearly showing. :-) What I meant was "..was that under full WOT load? ....or it gave way afterwards?
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I'm in your classroom brother - learning from you again. So I would need to go to the O'Reiley's to "see" first hand that it is the new design.
    2009 G8 GT

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hflores3 View Post
    Preach brother preach!! What happened?
    Lost belt and it took out the tensioner, or the tensioner went and lost belt during my burnout for second run at the 1/2 mile event this weekend. Full write up in racing section.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq