Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An alternative to FE3 struts and shocks

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An alternative to FE3 struts and shocks

The most cost effective alternative are GM PPV struts or Monroe Gas-Magnum severe duty PPV struts, and for the last couple weeks I was satisfied with that until I read lots of different threads on both forums about the mixed feelings car owners had about combining PPV struts with either FE2 springs or aftermarket lowered springs.

In the back of my mind, the notion of installing struts designed for a different car, no matter how similar it is to the G8 bothers me.

So today I did some research. It's pretty easy to find other choices that are only available in Australia and yes they cost more. The fact that a place like Spare Box AU advertises Monroe GT Sports shocks designed for lowered Holden Commodores motivated me to do research on Monroe AU.

VE, VEII with FE2 or Equivalent Lowered Suspension (Excluding FE3 SS Redline Edition), Sedan
    http://www.monroe.com.au/trade-corne...m_used=sidebar

FRONT
    Monroe GT Gas Front Strut 35-0632
    Monroe GT Gas Front Strut 35-0633

REAR
    Monroe GT Gas Rear Shock 35-0740

Note, there is a difference between Monroe GT Sports and Monroe GT Gas.
    Last edited by Executor999; 10-09-2016 at 06:01 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In the back of my mind, the notion of installing struts designed for a different car, no matter how similar it is to the G8 bothers me.
    Well, Fe2 struts that came on the GTs sucked and should have come with the PPVs or Fe3s from the factory (my opinion). But really, PPVs with Fe2 springs are fine (poly strut bushings too). They really glue the G8 down without a harsh ride. I only have poly strut bushings and the PPVs, everything else is stock. I use my G8 almost exclusively for road trips and couldn't be happier (but likely to go with grand touring tires instead of high perf tires the next time).

I do understand that if you have a lot of poly installed and/or wheels bigger than 18s, stiffer dampers may push the ride over the edge. As per my tire style comment (grand touring vs high performance), I am right at my edge and even decided not to go with the rear cradle inserts. So I understand its a tough call.

About the Aussie Monroe GTs - Thought I read way back that they like their dampers real stiff in Australia and the GTs fit that bill. So check into that before you commit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    Well, Fe2 struts that came on the GTs sucked and should have come with the PPVs or Fe3s from the factory (my opinion). But really, PPVs with Fe2 springs are fine (poly strut bushings too). They really glue the G8 down without a harsh ride. I only have poly strut bushings and the PPVs, everything else is stock. I use my G8 almost exclusively for road trips and couldn't be happier (but likely to go with grand touring tires instead of high perf tires the next time).

I do understand that if you have a lot of poly installed and/or wheels bigger than 18s, stiffer dampers may push the ride over the edge. As per my tire style comment (grand touring vs high performance), I am right at my edge and even decided not to go with the rear cradle inserts. So I understand its a tough call.

About the Aussie Monroe GTs - Thought I read way back that they like their dampers real stiff in Australia and the GTs fit that bill. So check into that before you commit.
    Thanks for the info and I will definitely take my time. All the bushings in my car are poly but am glad to hear you like the PPV struts with FE2 springs. You are actually second owner I've come across using FE2 springs instead of aftermarket lowered springs.

Also agree with you about grand touring tires. Going to buy those next time too. Although pricey, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus Tires received rave reviews on Tire Rack.
    Last edited by Executor999; 10-09-2016 at 06:02 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

Post Thanks / Like

Just get H&R coilovers and be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NEVER want my current G8 as a DD, but it's far from being uncomfortable. Actually we took it to WI 3 hours and it was quite comfy. It rides on 100% poly, has FE3's and Eibach springs. The tires being UHP Summers are stiff, but I need something that sticks as well. I wouldn't put coilovers on a DD if driven in the great white North. All that aluminum will take a beating with the salt!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

it's been discussed a few times but I thought it was pretty solid that the Gt and GXP have the same springs - different dampers.

there is no FE2 spring. per se.

And of course the sway bars are stiffer on the GXP model.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Only the rear bar. Gt and GXP have the same front bar.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    it's been discussed a few times but I thought it was pretty solid that the Gt and GXP have the same springs - different dampers.

there is no FE2 spring. per se.

And of course the sway bars are stiffer on the GXP model.
    You are correct. Look up coil springs for the GT and GXP, and the part numbers are identical, and they are referred to as FE2 coil springs. It's just the struts and shocks that have different part numbers.

GT
    http://www.cheapestgmparts.com/auto-...omponents-scat

GXP
    http://www.cheapestgmparts.com/auto-...omponents-scat
    Last edited by Executor999; 10-07-2016 at 03:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I found nothing but positive feedback on the King Springs/Monroe GT Sports Struts combo that JHP offers.
    http://www.g8board.com/forums/7-susp...n-results.html
    http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381765
    http://www.g8board.com/forums/7-susp...-gt-sport.html

Right now with the Pedders Track II springs and struts, my hub to guard measurements are:
    front: 14 9/16" or 370mm
    rear: 14 1/16" or 362mm

King Springs KHFL-150 and KHRL-152 will raise the car back to FE2 factory lowered height
    front: 390mm
    rear: 395mm

I'm sure my car has settled over the last 7 years after driving 44,000 miles on them.

One thing I discovered today is that the Pedders struts and shocks on my car are not shortened and I'm surprised since the lowering springs included in the Pedders Track II package are lower than stock FE2 height (factory lowered). After learning what a shortened strut is and how it works, I want the benefit of that. The Monroe GT Sports are shortened and will work with FE2 height and lower.
    Last edited by Executor999; 10-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

See new post on the other board about poor ride with Eibachs/Monroe GTs.