Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield cowl documentation

Post Thanks / Like

I'm missing that piece too. Mine sits flat. Body shop replaced my window when they painted it.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    I'm missing that piece too. Mine sits flat. Body shop replaced my window when they painted it.
    Hmmm. Either they misplaced yours too or maybe just the passenger's side has the seal to protect the HVAC unit. I ordered one. Hopefully it will reveal the answer.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

3. Thanks TonyKarter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oaky, now I know what tool. Found these online at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/paneltr...-pc-63032.html They LOOK long enough, but I guess it is going to take a long drive to go find out. The front edge looks like it might be too thick to get under the pin, the tool being an upholstery removal tool and not a true pin removal tool. Will have to see.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

5. Thanks Executor999 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
    Oaky, now I know what tool. Found these online at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/paneltr...-pc-63032.html They LOOK long enough, but I guess it is going to take a long drive to go find out. The front edge looks like it might be too thick to get under the pin, the tool being an upholstery removal tool and not a true pin removal tool. Will have to see.
    Those are the best ones I've seen. Amazon sent me the wrong ones but they were so cheap I didn't complain. Definitely going to go for these; they will be useful for other applications.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

Post Thanks / Like

Air Inlet Grille install. GM only has instructions for RH drive. I talked to the tech and he doesn't remember anything special about installing it. I don't know if it was removed when the windshield was replaced.

Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has a piece of plastic there at the end in Rays pic, not a seal.
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXP-G8 View Post
    Mine has a piece of plastic there at the end in Rays pic, not a seal.
    This is what I have too and after the new one arrived, I confirmed it doesn't come with a seal or insulation attached to it.

Safelite came back last week, re-fitted the cowl and confirmed that the cowl is warped. So they are ordering yet another new cowl and new clips. While I just want this to be over, I'm glad I'm no longer throwing more of my own money into a bottomless pit.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I was the only one with a cowl that doesn't sit flush. I figured it was just wrong clips, but you are saying it is just bad? It is very uniform along the windshield and just doesn't seem to want to be pressed down any further.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixt9stang View Post
    I thought I was the only one with a cowl that doesn't sit flush. I figured it was just wrong clips, but you are saying it is just bad? It is very uniform along the windshield and just doesn't seem to want to be pressed down any further.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Safelite 'mangled' my original cowl when they installed the windshield so they got me a new one, which fit flush the first time it was installed. Unfortunately the next day they had to remove it in order to connect the windshield washer fluid hose (really stupid mistake), and when they re-installed the cowl it no longer fit flush. I dealt with it for a couple weeks then called Safelite to complain. So last week they determined this cowl is warped and justified getting a second new one. The last Safelite technician mentioned windshield cowls are delicate and easy to warp due to either sun damage or being handled too much. He wasn't surprised it didn't fit flush afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that it's how they yank if off that warps it. I wonder what clips they're ordering. One of the clips is discontinued in the U.S. and one had to be bought in bags of 10. I'm talking to a guy that live in S.Australia to see if they can get the right clips. I need a new windshield, but plan on removing the cowls myself in order to not let some windshield guy yank them off.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.