Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 6L90 Swap

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6L90 Swap

I recently had the conversion completed and thought I would share my experience. In the past I've had bad experiences with the 6L80, went through 4 of them in a matter of just over 2 years. Mostly was due to bad tuning!

When the last 80e went down I was at some cross roads. Nearly had a TH400 built for the car, now looking back I'm very happy I didn't. I was fortunate enough that Tim King had a core in his shop from a ZL1. I figured I'd give it one last try with the 6 speed.

Couple small notes, you'll need a custom cross member, and also need to cut and rebalance your drive shaft 1 3/8" shorter. I already had an aluminum 1 piece which made it easy. Not sure how it would work with the OEM shaft though.

I highly recommend Tim King as a trans builder, great guy and awesome turn around. Also now all my tuning is being done by Rick Crawford. Due to the combination of Tim and Rick, this is truly the best trans I've ever had in this car!

Here's a few pics of the swap and comparison pics between the 80e and 90e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Warpig; 09-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.

2. Thanks Unavowed, slayermanny thanked for this post
    Likes Unavowed, slayermanny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome project! I'm glad a few guys have figured out how to make this a "relatively" seamless swap. Thanks for sharing.

Two things:

What sort of clearance did you lose with the new trans brace?

Can you ballpark the cost for comparison purposes?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

I've been really interested in this. Been considering changing my new 6l80 fund into a 6l90 conversion fund.

5. Thanks Tulsa GT thanked for this post
    Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slayermanny View Post
    I've been really interested in this. Been considering changing my new 6l80 fund into a 6l90 conversion fund.
    Now that it's been pioneered, no reason not to do it. (Well, cost...)
    Last edited by STL_G8GT; 09-10-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

7. Likes slayermanny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will more than likely be putting a 90 behind whatever power plant ends up in front of it. Not sure I want to go crazy and throw a snail at it or keep it a simple NA setup. Looking forward to more tech, info and any more photos of it fully complete in the car!
    - Matt

Post Thanks / Like

what other parts did you need for the swap ?