Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Headliner Removal/Install - For those who've done it, how tough?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Headliner Removal/Install - For those who've done it, how tough?

Headliner started to develop a little looseness around the grab handle areas and is now pretty well de-laminated on the passenger side so it's time to look to get it re-done. Since I am OCD about my cars and generally don't trust others to not screw something up, I was thinking about removing the head lliner myself and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to get re-covered.

My question is for those who have done it, how tough is it and what are the steps to remove the headliner? I've seen the manual instructions and they sound like overkill on what all needs to be removed and was wondering what really needs to be removed to get the headliner out and how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (Tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
    2005 GTO - CGM, M6 - Chrome lug nuts and tire valve caps; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Spoiler; JBA shorties; Tuned by Advanced Dyno; GMM Street
    2009 G8 GT - MSM, auto - Chrome lugs, VG Sharkfin

2. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What window are you going to remove? A 1 piece headliner doesn't come out the side.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    What window are you going to remove? A 1 piece headliner doesn't come out the side.
    Actually, people have been getting them out through the back doors. I have never done it myself though.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Remove all the pillar covers, then lay front seats all the way down, it will slide out the passenger back door.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine , you need to drop the seats and pull it through rear door. The info said passenger but mine came out driver and broke off a little piece when I tried to go out passenger

Texas speed 408 stroker,Lingenfelter ls3 ported heads,tv1900,2.8 pulley,kooks header header back,custom axel back, squash double pump upgrade, e85 tein lowering , demon 8 triple pod, brembo brakes ,brm sway bar, bmr toe rod , bmr end link, spohn trailing arms, tein springs,tsw nurburgring rims. Icebox. Old numbers on stock engine 650/620 with 3.0 pulley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Actually, people have been getting them out through the back doors. I have never done it myself though.
    Wow. I stand corrected. I'm glad when my G8 was repaired the headliner went out the front window. Looking at it you can't tell it was ever removed.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

A good upholstery shop will be able to get it out of the car without removing the windshield. I had mine done and it looks perfect. Some things are better left to the pros.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray - Per the manual and as others have said, the liner is removed through the rear doors with the seats laid back.

Unavowed - Finding a good upholstery shop that is as OCD and careful about not scratching up trim panels is hard to find. I've been disappointed too many times with other lack of detail when fixing my stuff!
    1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (Tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
    2005 GTO - CGM, M6 - Chrome lug nuts and tire valve caps; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Spoiler; JBA shorties; Tuned by Advanced Dyno; GMM Street
    2009 G8 GT - MSM, auto - Chrome lugs, VG Sharkfin

Post Thanks / Like

My windshield was replaced. So out the front it went.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

yep, I too pulled it through the passenger rear door. I pushed both seats forward and removed the head rests. then cranked the recline all the way forward as well. dropped the headliner and wiggled it out the rear door. just be careful with the front corners as they seem to be brittle and may crack and tear. I hot glued mine back together and you cant even see it. just take your time with all the trim panels. the rear grab handles were a bear to get back together. just normal little things.
    2008 g8 gt iom

2011 Ford flex ecoboost

12. Likes -Ray- liked this post