Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pennzoil ULTRA PLATINUM 5W-30 OIL

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hflores3 View Post
    I'm no engineer - but I've seen this before when cars are left for periods of time. I noticed that you "started it a few times and drove it less than a mile." Normally, you would want to "drive" the vehicles for several miles at normal operating temperatures to remove oxidation and allow the additive packs to do their job. I say this -- very respectfully.
    I agree, it should be warmed up better to ensure the H2O is boiled off. I've had similar short cold drive cycles before, never had a oil hold the moisture like this one. When I replaced with LS30, it had a few starts, same as the oil in the image and it did look like oil should (yes, I drained a bit). From my perspective, clearly something different with this oil. I'm confident it was water as it looks the same as lower gear oil on a out drive when the seals leak - yet with time the oil will separate out. Is holding the moisture good? who knows?

As for what oil is best discussion, I have searched to the end of the internet and back. Endless testimonials (IMO worthless), biased studies by someone trying to sell you something, even rat540 data. You will find minimum specs, will not find direct comparisons that clearly show one oil is better as it's really application dependent and the manufactures do not want that. 1320 application is different than DD with LSA. Additive pack may crap out after 1000 miles - who knows (with data)? Perhaps the only way to really get a handle is the UOA, even then many variables.

Sorry for soap box, in the end, without hard data, it's all personal preference.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently using the ultra platinum in my Mustang. No complaints. Do notice my catch can is cleaner since the switch. Don't know much about fuel economy since i hit 7500+ waay too many times to keep track. Valvetrain noise still sounds the same. Is it wonder magic in a bottle? Maybe.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

Running Amsoil Signature Series in the G8 and 5.3 in the Jeep and sent out an oil test to Blackstone Labs and so far they have all come back clean. It helps there is an Amsoil distribution center about 15 minutes from me that I can pick my order up at.
    - Matt

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Y'all are talking about the bottles with the black label right?

I'm using the silver label stuff - and I think it works very well also. Although I might go looking next go around.
    Yes sir ... bottles with the black labels. That stuff works pretty good.

This is what the cylinder heads, valley (you can see a couple of the lobes) and the DOD actuator plate -- having run the engine on the Ultra stuff. Pretty clean if you ask me.

Note: Blower and heads came off as I was moving up to Trick Flow heads. I had been running with the stock DOD actuator valley cover (i.e., Patrick G had deactivated). Since the blower was off and out of the way -- I went with a different valley cover to get rid of that DOD stuff.

Attachment 26823Attachment 26824Attachment 26825Attachment 26826
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

5. Likes texn884, MongosG8 liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    I'm currently using the ultra platinum in my Mustang. No complaints. Do notice my catch can is cleaner since the switch. Don't know much about fuel economy since i hit 7500+ waay too many times to keep track. Valvetrain noise still sounds the same. Is it wonder magic in a bottle? Maybe.
    "...wonder magic in a bottle?" No sir - that would be called beer!!
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

7. Likes Zodiac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my case of oil. Thanks Henry. It also came with a black stone labs oil kit. I'll need to get 3 more quarts if I'm going to put it in the G8. Also, if I email the address when I'm ready to change out the new oil, they will send me another case for swapping to the pennzoil.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

9. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Truer words have never been spoken.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Natty Light all the way
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

12. Likes tchr49 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    And that folks, is the truth...
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package