Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pennzoil ULTRA PLATINUM 5W-30 OIL

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    interesting, I have a different experience with the nat gas oil ...

Been running LS30 in my LSA'd L76 for two years. Decided to do an oil analysis while it was dormant this winter. Drained the oil then realized I didn't have inventory of LS30 I thought I had ... so, filled with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum so I'd have oil in the car to be able to move it if I had to. Move ahead two months, the car has been started few times, bought up to temp on fluids, driven less than a mile. My LS30 arrived, swap it out and, well, filled my pants. The oil that drained out was light brown chocolate milk colored -same as if it had water mixed into it, think what you find in the catch can. Radiator was full, IC rad was full, and just over 8.5 quarts came out exactly what I put in, just oil smell. In 40+ years I've never seen fresh oil come out like this -expected a little darker golden brown, not milk. Since my levels all are good, including drain, I assume it's condensation.

BTW, I let that oil sit weeks and it never separated the water out.

I'm no engineer - but I've seen this before when cars are left for periods of time. I noticed that you "started it a few times and drove it less than a mile." Normally, you would want to "drive" the vehicles for several miles at normal operating temperatures to remove oxidation and allow the additive packs to do their job. I say this -- very respectfully.

As for the discoloration -- the cleaning agents in this Ultra stuff really do work. Again - I'm no engineer - but the cleaning additives "pickup" the small micron particles and suspend them in the oil. Those that are larger microns are caught by the oil filter. Those that are not -- are microscopic - and are removed at the next oil change.

I used this stuff on my father in laws 1970 Torino (351 Cleveland). It had been sitting for years. Dropped the oil -- yuck!!! Changed the oil to Ultra. Ran it a 2 weeks. Drained the oil - same result - oil came out discolored (I presumed the cleaning agents were doing their job). Refilled with Ultra & new filter again. Ran it for another 2 weeks. Dipstick check and the oil looks very good. Not overly scientific on this story -- but offered as a point of reference.

....now if I can get my father in law to let me turn that car into a Pro-Touring machine!! :-)
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Pennzoil for years.. I never had an issue .. Pennzoil Ultra Plat. has been in my G8 since new. Walmart has it for 27.00 bucks for 5 quarts.
    (I hate this place ..only purchase my oil there)

Others might disagree with me but I feel Pennzoil is way better than Mobil 1.
    I had issues using Mobil 1 in my 95 Z28 and my Maxima. The dealer changed my oil all the time and all of a sudden I had an issue. They actually blamed it on Mobil 1 due to their additives ..I never touched that shit again!
    Last edited by MongosG8; 08-10-2016 at 06:39 AM.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1 is one of the best over the counter oils on the market and it's been proven multiple times, BUT, the Penn NG stuff has me intrigued. One of our Holden club members is the regional manager for Jiffy Lube so uses Penn in his 750 RWHP G8 with no issues. I may be doing the same this following spring.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AVIDMOTION View Post
    Finally found a great dependable oil that is not crazy expensive and actually can feel a difference when using it. My favorite is still Amsoil but my go to oil is now Pennzoil Ultra platinum 5w-30. Nearly as good as Amsoil but locally sourced easily or off Amazon. It is really clear too. Do some research on Google or Bobtheoilguy.com
    As soon as I put it in my stock lifters stopped making noise. I swear the car runs smoother, idles better, runs 8 degrees cooler on Avg and is a true 7500-10,000 mile oil change schedule. I change when convenient between 5000 and 7500.
    I have since traded in my G8 and n pi w run a tuned 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with performance package. I just recently changed the oil and again it smoothed out the motor and it got a lot quieter. I found deal for 6 qts and a filter with free shipping on amazon for less then 50 bucks. Pep boys has the Platinum which is nearly as good in 5 qt jugs for 33 bucks.
    Just a fyi...
    guesisng the link should have been - bobistheoilguy.com
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI
    VMS "Stealth" Dyno Tune
    VMS HSRK
    GTPprix's hacked Atari gauges
    Norris Motorsports Billet Oil Catch Can
    Radical Advantage Trans dipstick
    Blendimount and Invisicord for the V-1
    Doug Thorley LT's

Show
    Tint by Spade Kreations 35% & 20%
    Holden V-6 rad cover courtesy of Crazy Paul
    PB
    12.986 @ 108.78
    R.I.P. Charlie......FUCK Cancer!

Post Thanks / Like

so I stopped using Mobil 1 when I noticed it always left tacky residue in the catch can. Now yes that's the catch can not the oil pan but still oil residue that sits on bare AL.

Amsoil never did this, neither did redline, nor Pennzoil platinum. which is how I moved over to pennzoil platnium recently. Now the amsoil I used to use isn't the expensive signature stuff but I used the Xl5000 or whatever it was called. And it worked great - I say the pennzoil works just as well if not better. For less money considering I can get a 5gt for under 30 at wallmarx.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

This Pennzoil Ultra stuff is really outstanding.
    When we removed the cylinder heads of my car at 74k miles (I was upgrading to Trick Flow heads and an upgraded cam) - the heads, valve train, cam lobs - were "CLEAN." I mean really clean!

I also consider myself to drive under severe driving conditions (i.e., stop and go, short distances - oh! - and my fat foot buried in the throttle)

So - yeah - its good stuff
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

I'll soon have a case to convert my G8 to this wonder oil.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all are talking about the bottles with the black label right?

I'm using the silver label stuff - and I think it works very well also. Although I might go looking next go around.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I run Pennzoil in my 97 4runner, and it blew a head gasket at 206,000 miles. Obviously Pennzoil is junk.

Lol, maybe I'll try the ultra in my G8, see if I notice any sound differences from the Mobil 1 full synthetic it usually drinks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Y'all are talking about the bottles with the black label right?

I'm using the silver label stuff - and I think it works very well also. Although I might go looking next go around.
    Yes. Ultra Platinum is the black bottle. Platinum in the silver bottle. Unfortunately, my local Walmarx doesn't have the Ultra. Guess I'll have to order it online.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.