Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G8 Drag Racing - Do you drop your exhaust for the Drags?

Post Thanks / Like

Default G8 Drag Racing - Do you drop your exhaust for the Drags?

Hi Just wondering what most people do when racing, do you leave the full exhaust system on? or remove rear mufflers or run straight out of the headers?
    Curious to know if the weight savings are worth the potential power loss due to back pressure!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am going for a PB I will drop it after the mid muffler. The whole power loss thing due to loss of back pressure is a myth. You are free to remove anything after the headers and will generally gain some power, not lose it.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Weight saving is the main benefit. When going for gold I'd drop but most of the time I'll leave it on and let her eat full weight.

https://youtu.be/uQhnhQZdsRg
    Rick Crawford Racing Top End, Full Bolt-Ons, and PI 2600 Stall
    Current PB: 11.00 @ 125.91 --60' 1.61
    My YouTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going for a PB I will drop it after the mid muffler. The whole power loss thing due to loss of back pressure is a myth. You are free to remove anything after the headers and will generally gain some power, not lose it.
    I guess only 1 way to prove this! I can put on the dyno to test first before I go to the track.....

Post Thanks / Like

The whole back pressure thing is from 30 to 40 years ago. You will lose low end torque but you will gain top end Horse power but it is very minimal. It isn't going to be a big difference unless you're still running factory exhaust and then go to open long tubes by removing the factory exhaust. This does help with drag racing because you are in the top end while going down the track. But also you will not gain your full potential if you are tuned for having full exhaust, or you aren't tuned yet at all.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Post Thanks / Like

all the way out the back , ive always laughed and dragged some ass on open header cars at the strip

Post Thanks / Like

Another think to look out for is melting the plastic fender liners. When you drop the mufflers, the exhaust exits right at the bend. The one time I did it you could see where the plastic started to melt. That is on a car moving at over 100 mph. If you tried it on a dyno with little air movement you would certainly destroy them. Coincidentally I didn't go any faster with them off, and that was at 450 rwhp and compared to stock GT mufflers.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always left my exhaust on. I'm not hunting for records or anything like that. I've seen a lot of people jack up their street cars and drop it off but I've always had pretty free flowing exhaust so I've never worried about it.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Post Thanks / Like

Im getting the view here that its more for weight saving Vs any power or flow advantage....

10. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep everything on just like I would be if I were on the street. The only exception is putting Drag Radials on for better traction. If your going to go for the weight thing, might as well take out the passenger seat too.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.