Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Radiator cap broken, hose popped off again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Radiator cap broken, hose popped off again.

Well the top rad hose popped off again and dumped all of my coolant out. Thankfully I was already in a parking lot so I could park right then and shut it off. So here's the interesting part. I put the hose back on and went to put coolant in it but when I took the cap off the center pressure/seal part was still stuck in the radiator. I had to pry it out to get it out. My theory is that the pressure cap broke and since it couldn't relieve pressure it blew the hose off.

So the tip of the spout of the radiator had already broken off before I owned the car. I went to the parts store and got a new cap, a radiator repair kit, and some dexcool. I used the repair kit and put a lip of epoxy on the end of the spout, put a small line of the fiberglass over the epoxy, then put another layer over that. Let it cure for about an hour and put the hose back on. Filled it up with mixed dexcool and put the new cap on. So, hopefully this doesn't happen again. Just wanted to share my DIY with you guys.

20160320_014626.jpg20160320_193313.jpg

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Didn't know a rad repair kit came with those items. Agree the cap failure was the most likely cause but never heard of one coming apart like that. Have read of others having the retainer lip on the radiator neck failing so this fix should work for that also.

Live and learn, thanks for sharing.

3. Likes JessMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wait there is a kit for that. I think I have the same issue my upper hose popped off one day - I was nearly home kid in the car etc. I put it back on - put some water back in. drove for about 5 minute when I heard it pop again. I heard it that time.

so 2 days later with coolant and new hose clamps, tstat, etc. I go to replace and put the new hose on etc. start car it runs - no coolant in the oil etc - seems fine left the cap off to help burp it. etc etc. and with cap back on temp climbs a bit and pop off it came.

my rad end doesn't have any bulge on it - like I would expect it too. so maybe that's the easy fix
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes