Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Couple of questions cam related and suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Couple of questions cam related and suspension

If I intend to swap out my cam, do I need to buy the DOD delete kit as well? I am new to the internals of the DOD engines, I know my F body stuff but this is a whole new experience for me.

Also which cam would give me the best daily drivability on my car but also make decent power? Should I worry about swapping the intake manifold or just get a ported stock one from formato? I would like a little lope but nothing crazy like my Z06 for the cam. The car is going to be a daily driver for now but it will most likely get a supercharger in the future.

Any suspension modifications that are a must?

Thank you in advance.
    2008 IOM G8GT. Couple Bolt ons 338/349 13.408@107 with a 2.06 60' Sold
    2001 C5Z06 Bolt ons 370/368 Sold
    2009.5 SBM G8GT Exhaust
    US Army Veteran

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any suspension modifications that are a must?
    The original front strut top mounts were toast a long time ago. I replaced mine at ~8K miles as the gap became noticeable and the top of the struts started shifting sideways..

The Fe2 struts/shocks were just OK when new and got worse as the miles accumulated. So they never really matched the G8's inherent handling. I swapped mine out at 25K for better stuff.

I purposely don't mention what to replace them with as that's a whole other discussion. There are a ton of other suspension mods but aren't "musts" for a DD and each come with compromises to the NVH so you need to pick and choose if you go there.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wood81 View Post
    If I intend to swap out my cam, do I need to buy the DOD delete kit as well? I am new to the internals of the DOD engines, I know my F body stuff but this is a whole new experience for me.

Also which cam would give me the best daily drivability on my car but also make decent power? Should I worry about swapping the intake manifold or just get a ported stock one from formato? I would like a little lope but nothing crazy like my Z06 for the cam. The car is going to be a daily driver for now but it will most likely get a supercharger in the future.
    You can get an DOD cam, but the vast majority choose to go to a regular cam and do the DOD delete because of all the problems with the original DOD lifters.

Talk to Rick Crawford or Pat G about that you want for a cam. They will steer you in the right direction.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wood81 View Post
    If I intend to swap out my cam, do I need to buy the DOD delete kit as well?

Should I worry about swapping the intake manifold or just get a ported stock one from formato?

Thank you in advance.
    yes DOD delete kit
    cam I would get with Rick Crawford. the little Lunati might be what you are looking for
    just have the intake ported.
    if you have the $ switch the intake valves to LS3 hollow stem.

cam
    http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=17241
    http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=40460
    http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=36490
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. And yeah I'm definitely doing dod delete asap.
    2008 IOM G8GT. Couple Bolt ons 338/349 13.408@107 with a 2.06 60' Sold
    2001 C5Z06 Bolt ons 370/368 Sold
    2009.5 SBM G8GT Exhaust
    US Army Veteran