Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifter tick on start. Oil brand/weight possible fault??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifter tick on start. Oil brand/weight possible fault??

Dammit. Well I just started the G8 with the remote start tonight to head to work and I heard a definite lifter tick. It's around high 40s tonight. It went away after about 30 Seconds. The Previous Owner says he's running Mobil 5w-30 in it. I checked the level when I got it and it was about half a quart low and I added half a quart last week. I have had trouble with mobile 1 in the past due to its low zinc content making very loud valve train noise in my LS1 on cold mornings. Loud valve train noise until it warmed up. Once I switched to Castrol GTX I never had this problem again. What do you guys think? Should I start saving up to replace my lifters because mine is a 9L1 and has 128K miles? I don't know if the 2 precious owners replaced them or not. And also would that change from full synthetic Mobil 1 to GTX have a negative impact on the L76?

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Post Thanks / Like

All gas engine specific oils are going to be low in zinc. Zinc has nothing to do with a 30 second long lifter tick. That points at a mechanical issue. I ran M1 5W30 in my GT with DOD for 55,000 miles and it'd tick for a second or two when cold started, but NEVER longer.

JMO

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Addicted Member 2lazy4agoodname's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With 128k and the reliability of the dod garbage being low, I would start looking into dod delete kits rather than zinc content from oil..
    16 SSB SS A6
    VCM, KOOKS, 3" Solo, RCR MANI & TB, Eibach, VMR
    09 PBM G8 GT -
    Built By Rick Crawford Racing
    404 Stroker / Ported LSA Blower / 2" Headers / Built Trans / Alky Methanol
    RCR Heads & Cam / TPIS TB / ATI Balancer / Vaporworks & V Pump
    Solo / CTS-V Brembos / BMR / VMR V701 / H&R Coilovers / Holden SSV Conversion

9.89 @ 138.8
    09 WH GXP M6 (#1827 of 1829)
    Roto-Fab / Solo Mach Shorty

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap option would be the upgraded DOD lifters, that's if no damage is done to the cam. If the cam is messed up, might as well DOD delete it and upgrade while you have it apart.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Shit well guess I'll be saving up for that then.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Post Thanks / Like

What lifters would you guys recommend? I've never done any valve train work on an LS. Always just bolt ons and drive train work.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Addicted Member 2lazy4agoodname's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ls7
    16 SSB SS A6
    VCM, KOOKS, 3" Solo, RCR MANI & TB, Eibach, VMR
    09 PBM G8 GT -
    Built By Rick Crawford Racing
    404 Stroker / Ported LSA Blower / 2" Headers / Built Trans / Alky Methanol
    RCR Heads & Cam / TPIS TB / ATI Balancer / Vaporworks & V Pump
    Solo / CTS-V Brembos / BMR / VMR V701 / H&R Coilovers / Holden SSV Conversion

9.89 @ 138.8
    09 WH GXP M6 (#1827 of 1829)
    Roto-Fab / Solo Mach Shorty

8. Likes johnbell2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen a few threads of those being broken, is that a lifter fault or build fault?

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifter tick on start. Oil brand/weight possible fault??

LS lifters fail and score the cam face at reasonably high mileage. I found high ZDDP did prolong smooth noiseless operation by six months same miles in my case, but yeah meantime good idea to start saving for heads-off lifter replacement and in any case might as well get better spec cam to replace old one.
    New Delphi AFM lifters and trays are good to 0.320" cam lift and rated to 6600 rpm so now is a good time to re-evaluate valve events with help from an expert.
    At same juncture I chose domed relieved forged pistons and rods, doubled down on late 20s AFM cam and very happy with a 500 ft-lb 4000 lb daily driver.
    Compression is King. Race-built VVT brawler hauler with Stingray tune.

Supernaturally as-pirated, all-alcohol, all-motor.

11. Likes STL_G8GT, johnbell2, JessMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well time to start saving up for a DOD delete kit, cam, oil pump, timing chain, and possibly new valves.

Would you guys say it's worth porting the stock heads?

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition