Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifter tick on start. Oil brand/weight possible fault??

Post Thanks / Like

Well time to start saving up for a DOD delete kit, cam, oil pump, timing chain, and possibly new valves.

Would you guys say it's worth porting the stock heads?

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely worth porting the stock heads!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JessMan View Post
    Overall, no. Definitely not the intake with near stock cubes, maybe a bit off the exhaust but depends on cam and purpose.
    Sure if you are doing a full race overhaul but be careful what you wish for re efficiency and drivability.
    Seems heads like most components do benefit from a bit of tidying but not a major bottleneck vs improving induction velocity and tumble, better valvetrain control and event timing.
    Compression is King. Race-built VVT brawler hauler with Stingray tune.

Supernaturally as-pirated, all-alcohol, all-motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it. Ill worry about it when I start the tear down and decide then. I definitely want to get the intake manifold and throttle body ported though.

So now my coolant hose popped off on me last night but I fixed it today with a screw type clamp and filled it back up.

And now it just started today I am hearing a pop coming from my passenger front every time I turn right and I'm not absolutely crawling at a low speed. So that's great. What do you guys think? Tie rod, or maybe a bushing?
    Last edited by JessMan; 12-04-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Check lower control arm ball joint
    Mine got bad enough could see
    Wheel move front to back when
    I tightened lug nuts
    09 BLK G8 GT
    2300 Maggie with rear OD cog belt/ 56# injectors / Kennie BAP/ Under drive pulley / TPIS Tune / with E85 has 492 hp to wheels /Moroso deep trans. Pan Camaro Diff. 3.45 : 1
    / 160 Deg. therm. / 1 3/4 Headers with Solo Mach short back /BMR arms rear and diff and cradle bushings
    BC coil overs / corvette wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked them tonight. They don't look bad and not much movement at all. I think it may be the struts bushings. But everything bushing wise needs to be replaced in the front for sure. Just at first glance you can tell they're old and worn out. Something else to save up for lol.

Back to the lifter situation. I'm looking at the Tick Performance DOD delete kit as I have had a lot of experience with them and I know that I can call them and add whatever else I would need. Cam, oil pump, timing chain etc. But I also saw the New Era brand DOD delete kit. Has anyone had any experience with them? It's a higher price but seems to come with more already in the package deal.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Post Thanks / Like

I've run nothing but Mobil1 5w30 from pretty much day one, across all mods... no lifter tick to be had, DOD or no DOD... if the oil level is good and you're getting the 'tick' one recommendation I can make is get an oil pressure gauge... just because the level is fine doesn't mean you're getting the pressure you need, it may not be low enough pressure to trigger the sensor but it can't hurt to have the gauge to be sure... as for the zinc content myth, this link is excellent reading...

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

check out the results for Mobil1 5w30, it's some of the best stuff out there...
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JessMan View Post
    Well time to start saving up for a DOD delete kit, cam, oil pump, timing chain, and possibly new valves.

depends, but the valve shroud you get with the LS3 heads and 4" bore is the larger issue... some valve work would help more, and switch to the LS3 hollow stem intake valves while you're at it...
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifter tick on start. Oil brand/weight possible fault??

Quote Originally Posted by johnbell2 View Post
    as for the zinc content myth, this link is excellent reading...

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

check out the results for Mobil1 5w30, it's some of the best stuff out there...
    Thant link is not excellent reading BTW, the guy is not using science, it is a blog, from a student.

OP just try Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10w40 it will likely make you happy for longer, certainly over the 1970s unassailable Mobil 1 myth.
    Compression is King. Race-built VVT brawler hauler with Stingray tune.

Supernaturally as-pirated, all-alcohol, all-motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok cool. I've never been a fan of Mobil 1. My Trans Am didn't like it one bit and always made valve train noise on it, especially on cold starts. As soon as I switched to Castrol GTX it never made a sound after that. Cold or hot.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition