Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Springs/valves on DOD delete help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Springs/valves on DOD delete help.

Trying to get everything together to do a DOD delete this winter but am confused about the springs and valves to go with. Most kits out there are pretty similar but these either aren't included in most kits or every one has a different option.

Should I go aftermarket or will something like the LS9 springs and ls3 valves work?

Not planning on a crazy build or doing head work. Have basic bolt on's now and plan on doing a LSA swap in the future with a ultimate goal of 550whp or so on pump
    '03 Evo VIII 10.6@131mph stock internals/ECU/Tires-SOLD
    '09 GT SBM-Rotofab, SOLO HFC, SOLO Mach Balanced Catback Exhaust, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, Custom Tune, HID Lows, LED Fogs, GXP Front Bumper & Rear Diffuser & CTS-V Rims

Post Thanks / Like

Everything should match your cam.
    If you have high lift you need high lift springs. If you are under .600 lift you can get a good single.
    Your valve selection should match your cam and build.
    Stainless for high heat, hollow for light weight / high rpm, solid for added strength if weight isn't an issue, titanium for light weight and strength. Same with retainers.
    Lsa parts will be good for you with a 550whp goal. People put many many miles on stock lsa at that power.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

You can also pick up a good bit of flow with the back cut valves. More noticeable over .550 lift ...

4. Likes johnbell2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    If you have high lift you need high lift springs. If you are under .600 lift you can get a good single.
    Stainless for high heat, hollow for light weight / high rpm, solid for added strength if weight isn't an issue, titanium for light weight and strength. Same with retainers.
    Lsa parts will be good for you with a 550whp goal. People put many many miles on stock lsa at that power.
    I have a cam going in with .598 lift. Talking to a few different people about springs, and one had told me to go with .660 lift springs! That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Now to change things a bit, I would like to swap in LY6 exhaust valves (going FI). From what I can find, the LY6 valves weigh 2 grams more. With this setup, I am leaning towards the PSI 1511ML springs over the PAC 1219X which have more pressure @ 1.800" but less at 1.175" than the PSI's.

Am I able so simply swap the LY6 springs in? I know they will need to be lapped, but is there anything else to do?
    MGM GXP - M6, sunroof, and a whole lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

What cam are you going with? I'd talk to whoever makes it to see what springs they recommend.
    Matt Jones
    2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s

Post Thanks / Like

Seconded with emphasis. When I had my cam spec'd they recommended the springs and retainers I needed on the build sheet.

2009 G8 GT
    Roto-fab CAI, Kooks LTH & Catless xpipe, CTSV wheels/tires, Hawk Brake Pads, PatG Cam, Forged Pistons & Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Seconded with emphasis. When I had my cam spec'd they recommended the springs and retainers I needed on the build sheet.

2009 G8 GT
    Roto-fab CAI, Kooks LTH & Catless xpipe, CTSV wheels/tires, Hawk Brake Pads, PatG Cam, Forged Pistons & Rods