Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil leak near front driver side wheel

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I got under and verified that it is coming from under the boot. It's a drip every couple of seconds while it's running.

Does a new rack come with any of these lines attached to it? The corrosion resistance of these is atrocious.

09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think it comes with two of the lines.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Job done. For the most part it went OK. Until the very end. I'll get to that. Most thing came apart as expected, but I did smoke one 3/8 ratchet on a stubborn rack mount bolt. I did have to remove the line with the bracket and unbolt the driver radius arm from the spindle to get it out, but that wasn't too much hassle. I got everything buttoned up, fluid filled, cycling wheel back and forth and i get a releasing pressure sound. I shut it down and find a huge red puddle under the car. The washer(s) on the banjo bolt for the return line on the passenger side gave out. I tried some spares but none worked. So i got the heftiest oil drain plug gaskets i could find at Advance and they seem to be working.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I should share my experience with trying to get the tie rods on the new rack to match the old ones.

I measured everything carefully and got them to match as best I could, from rod end to rod end, and relative to a fixed point on the rack with the steering shaft in the same position. I must have had the shaft shifted just a little bit because my steering wheel ended up about 30 degrees off to the right. It seemed like I had the shaft lined up the same, but, whatever. I took it for a test drive. It didn't pull much at all, so that was good. But, there's a hill near my house with a decently sharp left hand turn immediately at the bottom. When I got to the bottom and turned left, it just so happened that I had to point the wheel straight to make the turn. At that point, the stability control decided that I wanted to be going straight, and tried very hard to send me into the trees on the outside of the turn. I managed to keep it mostly on the road, and then turned the ESP off. 1/4 mile later and I got a warning message on the DIC that it was gonna stay off. I went back home and adjusted the tie rods. After a couple adjustments and drives, I had shifted the ends about 5 quarter turns each and now it's pretty good. Straighter than it was before all this, actually.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Still a good idea to get an alignment or mark and measure the front tires. Toe in or out can feel straight and stable.

You can get a rough idea by measuring off a tire groove. But that's not exactly square on the wheel. It's better to mark it.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to get a LCA replaced, so it's gonna get aligned soon.

Winter-wear: