Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak near front driver side wheel

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil leak near front driver side wheel

In the last week my GT has left 2 fist sized oil stains about a foot inboard of the front driver side wheel. It's never leaked before and I don't see any obvious sources when I try to look under from in front of the ar.

What could leak oil in that area?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is it truly oil? For example, the power steering pump is over in that area...
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah atf for power steering. Could be any part of that. From the resivor to the rack. Maybe front of engine. Timing cover/front seal and run doom that side. But that would be towards the middle of the car.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The PS fluid is all new and red. This stuff is definitely brown.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    In the last week my GT has left 2 fist sized oil stains about a foot inboard of the front driver side wheel. It's never leaked before and I don't see any obvious sources when I try to look under from in front of the ar.
    What could leak oil in that area?
    Oil filled shock absorbers????
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe? Both spots are dry looking now. I took a close look around and under the PS pump that I just recently changed and I don't see signs of recent leakage. I'll take a look at the strut later.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

By the wheels only thing it could be is the strut letting loose or the brake fluid. Your brake fluid level OK?

And you can give your front end the bounce test to see if the strut is effective side to side. Might see or feel a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be the strut as other have mentioned. My rear did this on my Pedders. Looked just like engine oil.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked earlier and didn't see any wetness on the strut. The general area under the PS pump is still greasy from spillage when I swapped it some weeks back. Maybe there were a couple pockets of fluid built up that decided to spill? I can't find any hanging drips or very fresh looking wetness.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think I found it. This morning, there were new puddles, and they were large. I popped the hood and where the steering shaft meets the rack was actively leaking. It was hard to get a quick picture as I was trying to get to work on time, but you can see the fluid reflecting the flash.

Any ideas if this could be an "easy" fix where the rack can stay in the car?

Last edited by J Wikoff; 09-10-2015 at 06:04 AM.

Winter-wear: