Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Temps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transmission Temps

Hey guys. I just want to check to see if my temps are okay now that I have an aeroforce interceptor gauge. Yesterday was 90+ degree out.. With a lot of city driving, stopping and going, I was seeing temps around 195-200. When on the expressway, I was seeing temps around 190. When it got a little cooler out, around 83 or so, the temps fell to around 180. Generally I was seeing 160ish on a 70-80 degree day. Does that sound about normal or is it high? Just checking to see if I should get a trans cooler or not

Thanks
    Jon
    Last edited by JonnyG2132; 08-17-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Naturally Aspirated-230/242 Cam-.030 Milled Heads-Valve Job-New Era Performance ECM/TCM tune-New Era Performance Ported Throttle Body-Vararam CAI-Rick Crawford Modified Intake Manifold-VMS HSRK-UD Pulley-MSD Plugs-4" MAF-Ram Air Plate-Circle D Triple Disk 4000-4200 245mm Converter-3.45 gears-1 7/8 American Racing Headers-Magnaflow mid muffler-SLP Lowering Springs in Rear-M&H Skinnies-Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 295/45/17-Dark Star Rims

- ARANGO AUTOMOTIVE & TOWING SERVICES, WEBSTER NY

Post Thanks / Like

Interested - subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 G8 GT Silver Metalic with Premium Onyx/red - Sunroof - Sport package - Vararam intake - DOD delete - Livernois 2C cam - Kooks Mids 1 7/8" - Corsa cat back - Pedders Xas - triple Gauge - Blue tooth module - VIM

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me your about eight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009.5 g8 gt
    kooks LT headers, hi flow cats, x pipe, corsa cat back, vararam CAI, ported TB/intake, slp underdrive pulley, billet catch can, qtp cut outs, kaltech tune, camaro 20s,
    350hp...12.60 @ 109.8 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Those seem to be about the same temps I used to have. A little over a week ago I added a GXP cooler and a deeper pan and now I'm seeing a max of about 140 on the highway with the highest about 165 in stop and go. That was a day in the high 80s. I still have to spend more time monitoring the temps but I definitely seem to have lower temps now. Whether or not the temps before were an issue, I'm not sure, but it definitely got my attention the couple times it crept up over 200 in heavy traffic.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

5. Likes GeoffA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To day was 95* and in town stop and go I was seeing 80* C and on the highway it was 68* C so about 155-175* F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftless View Post
    To day was 95* and in town stop and go I was seeing 80* C and on the highway it was 68* C so about 155-175* F.
    Do you have a trans cooler?
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Naturally Aspirated-230/242 Cam-.030 Milled Heads-Valve Job-New Era Performance ECM/TCM tune-New Era Performance Ported Throttle Body-Vararam CAI-Rick Crawford Modified Intake Manifold-VMS HSRK-UD Pulley-MSD Plugs-4" MAF-Ram Air Plate-Circle D Triple Disk 4000-4200 245mm Converter-3.45 gears-1 7/8 American Racing Headers-Magnaflow mid muffler-SLP Lowering Springs in Rear-M&H Skinnies-Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 295/45/17-Dark Star Rims

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Those seem to be about the same temps I used to have. A little over a week ago I added a GXP cooler and a deeper pan and now I'm seeing a max of about 140 on the highway with the highest about 165 in stop and go. That was a day in the high 80s. I still have to spend more time monitoring the temps but I definitely seem to have lower temps now. Whether or not the temps before were an issue, I'm not sure, but it definitely got my attention the couple times it crept up over 200 in heavy traffic.
    I also added a B&M Tranny cooler with a fan along with the Camaro pan. I've been in the 170 range in Houston where temps have been over 100F!

Older brother had a transmission shop -- constant coaching "heat kills transmissions" ..... these damn things cost too much not to care for them.
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I was thinking about getting the GXP Trans cooler
    2008 NA G8 GT

1/4 mile = 10.93 @ 123
    60' = 1.47
    DA = 500

Post Thanks / Like

200 makes me nervous. Towing the camper with the truck, I see 90 degrees over ambient. not towing, I see 65 degrees over ambient. I use that guideline now for all of my cars. If I see over 90 degrees above outside temps, it's time to add a cooler.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2013 4x4 DD RAM runs around the same as my car. Last night it was 82ºF ambient and the trans was sitting at 175ºF driving through town. My GXP with a 3200 stall and GXP cooler sits a bit higher than that. I drive it so seldom that it's not really an issue...

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!