Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.92 Differential Oil Change

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure on that one. I guess if you had too it would be OK.

I think I would do one first. Drain then fill. It might not even take a full 1.25L to fill.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out the two bottles i bought last year must of been fresh, cause the expiration date is 3/13. Guess i'll change it soon.:thumbup:
    ________________ _
    '08 G8... Panther Black
    Premium & Sport Pkg.- 7/08

Post Thanks / Like

Default Differential Oil Change

Last week I changed out the differential oil and I figured I'd share a few pics in case someone wanted to do this themselves. It's a relatively simple procedure.

The first thing you'll need is two bottles of lubricant. It takes about 1.3 qts or 1.25 L, so one bottle won't be enough. The GM part number is 92184900. The general consensus seems to be that if you have the stock GT diff, you need to use this factory lubricant due to the special additives, so that's what I used.

To get the oil into the diff, I purchased a pump for filling lower units on outboard motors. It was under $5, screwed right onto the bottle, and worked like a charm. All I did was remove the lower unit adapter from the end of the hose and stuck the hose right in the fill port.

Once I got the car lifted up, I removed the rear section of the right side exhaust to get better access to the drain and fill plugs. My Corsa makes this easy because there is a connection on the midpipe not too far forward of the diff. If you have the stock exhaust, I suppose you could disconnect at the muffler which might allow you to move the section of the midpipe out of the way. On the right side of the differential are the drain and fill plugs.

Crack open the fill plug first with an 8mm hex bit. You don't want to drain the oil and then realize you can't get the fill plug open. The plugs have integral o-rings, and if they need to be replaced, they get replaced as a unit (the part number should be 92184898.) Mine were in good shape and just got wiped off and reused. Remove the drain plug, being sure to have a pan underneath to catch the old fluid.

Once all of the old oil has drained out, you can replace the drain plug and torque it to 26 ft-lbs (35 Nm). Next I stuck the hose from my bottle pump into the fill port and just pumped until fluid started overflowing out of the port. It took all of one bottle and about a quarter of the second. Make sure that the car is level when you do this so that you fill it to the proper level.

At this point you can replace the fill plug and torque to 26 ft-lbs, wipe up any spilled oil, replace the exhaust, and then lower the car. I couldn't find a recommended service interval in the owner's manual, but for what it's worth my car was at a little over 38,000 miles.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

4. Thanks ClarkWGriswald1, Executor999 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job Len.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Len, I need to do mine soon. How did you keep the car level and have it jacked up for access?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cstmg8 View Post
    Thanks Len, I need to do mine soon. How did you keep the car level and have it jacked up for access?
    I drove the front up on my Race Ramps and then jacked up the rear and lowered it onto Race Ramp Wheel Cribs. Both are 10 inches tall and the vehicle's weight was on it's wheels so I knew it was level as if it were sitting on the ground. You can sort of see the cribs in the last picture I posted. I did the transmission service the same day so I wanted to be certain that the car was level for the fill procedure for that.
    Len

TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thank you! This is on my to do list for this fall.
    09 PBM G8 GT
    Livernois Stage 1c Cam (218/229 117LSA), Ported Heads & Valve job, Ported TB & Intake Manifold,
    DOD Delete, Kooks Mid-Length Headers, Corsa, Roto-Fab CAI,
    Pedders SuperCar Coilovers with some BMR & Spohn mixed in,
    Lots of Holden parts

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mine at 50k or so. I didn't remove any exhaust parts. I think I used an extension and a wobble joint so the ratchet was outside the exhaust pipe.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    I did mine at 50k or so. I didn't remove any exhaust parts. I think I used an extension and a wobble joint so the ratchet was outside the exhaust pipe.
    I'm sure I could've done the job without removing the exhaust. The service manual doesn't tell you to remove it and it normally tells you to remove all kinds of things that you can get away without touching. The Corsa was just so easy to remove that I took the extra minute up front to make things easier later.
    Len

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Len. Quick question on the Wheel Cribs but when raising the rear end do you put the jack under the diff and raise the entire rear up in one shot or are you raising it up in another location? I already have the Race Ramps and love them but have been looking into the Wheel Cribs as well.
    - Matt