Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New strained power steering sound

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New strained power steering sound

I just noticed a few times in the last week that my power steering making a high pitched groan when turning, and effort seems elevated when turning tight. It's different than the normal GM power steering whine. The power steering fluid is original. If putting in new fluid is worth a shot, what's the best way to go about that?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

From the Service manual:

Power Steering System Flushing

Note: Do not reuse drained power steering fluid regardless of appearance or condition.

1. Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
    2. Place a large suitable container under the power steering fluid reservoir inlet connection in order to collect draining fluid.
    (or maybe even run an extra extended length of hose down to a catch bottle??)
    3. Clean the area surrounding the fluid reservoir cap.

4. Release the power steering fluid reservoir inlet pipe/hose spring clamp (2) and disconnect the power steering fluid reservoir inlet pipe/hose (3) from the power steering fluid reservoir (1).
    5. Plug the power steering fluid reservoir (1).
    (I am guessing plug it with a small piece of similar hose with a bolt clamped in one side??)
    (But even before I plug it I would siphon out the old fluid using a turkey baster type tool, plug it and fill with new fluid, that's just me)

Note:

* This step may require 4 L (3.5 qt) of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.
    * Do not allow the power steering fluid level in the fluid reservoir to drop below MAX while the engine is running.
    * Use approved new power steering fluid from a sealed container.

6. Run the engine at idle while maintaining the fluid level at MAX in the reservoir, until the fluid draining from the power steering fluid reservoir Inlet hose is clean and free from debris.
    7. Turn the engine OFF.
    8. Remove the plug from power steering fluid reservoir.
    9. Release the power steering fluid reservoir inlet pipe/hose spring clamp (2) and connect the power steering fluid reservoir inlet pipe/hose (3) to the power steering fluid reservoir (1).
    10. Remove the container.
    11. Check the power steering fluid. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid.
    12. Run the engine at idle for approximately 15 minutes.
    13. Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:
    Milky fluid – water
    Brown fluid – burnt
    Plastic debris or dirt chunks
    14. If the fluid is contaminated, repeat steps 3–12.
    15. Clean any spilled fluid.
    16. Bleed the power steering system.

Power Steering System Bleeding

Important:

* Use approved new power steering fluid from a sealed container.
    * Hoses touching the frame, body or engine may cause power steering system noise. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.
    * Loose connections may not leak, but may allow air into the steering system. Verify that all hose connections are tight.

Important: Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.

1. Fill power steering fluid reservoir with fluid to the COLD MAX level mark on the reservoir.
    2. Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground.
    3. With the engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.
    4. Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification.
    5. Start the engine and allow to run at idle for three seconds, turn the engine OFF.
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the power steering level remains constant.
    7. Start the engine and allow to run at idle.
    8. Rotate steering wheel from left to right 8 times. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).
    9. Turn the engine OFF. Verify the fluid level.
    Last edited by smwalker; 07-30-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir!

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, it uses DEX 6.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon has a pretty good price on a Gallon of Dexron VI if you can add some stuff to get some free shipping. Or if you have Prime even better:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055EALW8/...ords=dexron+vi

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, a lot of people say it's fine to use trans fluid for power steering, and my personal opinion has been that they make PS fluid, so there must be something different about it and have always used it specifically. So I just looked in the owner's manual, and wouldn't you know it, it says to use trans fluid. I don't remember seeing it listed instead of PS fluid anywhere before.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't swapped the fluid yet, but I want to describe the sound more. It sounds like a cheap toy whistle, or if you could blow across the top of a tiny bottle and get it to whistle. It is more pronounced while turning the the wheel left. With my head under the hood and my wife turning the wheel, iI can't really say it's coming from the pump, but I can't locate it elsewhere either. It's just kind of "there".

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

uhm other than yes you should flush the fluid - I use a different method but I also do it yearly.

it might be a loose belt? have you replaced or checked your belt and tensioners and pulleys lately?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the belts and an idler in the last year. I don't think it's a belt sound, though, it's not harsh enough.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I flushed the fluid, no change. I swapped the pump, no change. I did take some video this time. There's the rubbery loud sound that has always been there. Then there's the high pitched sound the happens mostly when turning the wheel to the left. The front end was up on jack stands so the wheels were in the air.

Winter-wear: