Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New strained power steering sound

Post Thanks / Like

Egads that's some serious noise! Well with the pump off I would say that sound is coming from the Rack. Could it be coming from anywhere else?

You Tube Vid of it as the Link did not display for me:
    https://youtu.be/YwIg_xJ4B1w

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I should say the louder rubbery creak/snap sound has always been present, but only if I'm turning the wheels off the ground. Under normal conditions, it doesn't make that sound.

I don't know anywhere else a whine could come from. Anyone know if the steering rack is an at-home job? Or does it require a lift, or whatever else that would be a showstopper for a guy with a garage and normal tools?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The whine makes me think that there is cavitation or a restriction somewhere. And I can turn the wheel fast or slow and it happens. Are there any valves that can be serviced, or "orifices", or.. I don't even know what. What are my options?

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

There is a valve that changes the flow with pressure and rate of turn. but IIRC it's in the rack it self.

another issue might be your PS fluid cooler. IE clogged up and or not cooling.

but with it happening only in one direction - then I've got to think it's the rack. and it might be repairable - I know there are shops around that do that and it has an overhaul manual.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber Sounds like the bushing is going bad. Fluid level seems to be changing a lot, not sure if that has to do with the car being off and not level

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the rubber washer on top of the strut tower was rubbing on the tower when the weight was off the wheels. I don't know if it is a problem or just an aspect of a dumb design. I am not really worried about the rubber sound for now.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Check strut bearing plate/mount or siezing ball joint/tie rod ....

Post Thanks / Like

that's what I was about to type. you might have a broken bearing - IE all the balls missing, no grease, etc - and the one rotation allowed in in the rubber bush to metal socket - or between the strut shaft - to inner bushing ferrel.

either way I'd want to drop the struts out (sadly I think you might have to check both) and see if the mount bush, washers, nut, and bearing on each is shot in the azz.

next thing - while out - check that the strut shaft will turn free and that the struts aren't damaged in general. (I think this would be easier and cheaper than dropping the rack.

maybe see if the sound is louder on one side of the car than the other, etc - and start there.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Hey any update on the noise?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't changed and I haven't had a chance to do any more diagnosing. Baby 3 arrived recently and is absorbing a lot of time...

Winter-wear:

11. Likes MongosG8 liked this post