Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Just installed Solo axle backs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just installed Solo axle backs

So I just installed solo axle backs to my car, an I honestly was let down when I started my car. I thought these would have a more muscle car sound to them. They sound like a honda civic or some rice
    Rocket...

Is there another exhaust system that may be better than this one I regards to the more muscle
    Car sound or something else I need to do to get it other than these? I'm just not
    Digging the sound these are putting out at all. No where near muscle car tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend removing everything from the manifold back - you'll like the sound.

I also think you need your hearing checked.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, ill work on the hearing thing but I just took a hearing/respirator test for work last week and was good bud. Just the sound is no where near a deep muscle car sound. Is what it is, just my personal opinion I guess. Maybe it's because it's a V6.

Post Thanks / Like

That would explain it.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

5. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No replacement for displacement!

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha... Yep, the V6 sounds more like an Infinity or something with exhaust. It's impossible to make a V6 sound like a V8, but headers and such will help it sound throatier.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Hahaha... Yep, the V6 sounds more like an Infinity or something with exhaust. It's impossible to make a V6 sound like a V8, but headers and such will help it sound throatier.
    Agreed. Even muscle cars with V6 (Grand National comes to mind) don't sound like muscle cars...physics just doesn't allow it unfortunately.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thechad703 View Post
    So I just installed solo axle backs to my car, an I honestly was let down when I started my car. I thought these would have a more muscle car sound to them. They sound like a honda civic or some rice
    Rocket...

Is there another exhaust system that may be better than this one I regards to the more muscle
    Car sound or something else I need to do to get it other than these? I'm just not
    Digging the sound these are putting out at all. No where near muscle car tone.
    The best sounding V6 exhaust I've heard is the Solo G8 V6 exhaust that has mufflers, not the Solo G8 straight through, j-pipe version. See if Solo will do some kind off trade.
    '09 Pacific Slate G8 GT,1900 Magnacharger cog drive. Engine rebuilt by Texas Speed and Performance with some very nice parts. Airaid intake, Kooks 1 7/8" lt's, cats, midpipe, SLP PowerFlow exhaust. Pedders lowered touring package. Baer Pro front brakes. ForgeStar F14 GunMetal 19x8.5 Michelin Pilot Sport a/s. '78 El Camino. 2008 model Blue Heeler.

10. Likes Thechad703 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the v6. Add an X pipe to get rid of the resonance and tiny sound.
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
    The best sounding V6 exhaust I've heard is the Solo G8 V6 exhaust that has mufflers, not the Solo G8 straight through, j-pipe version. See if Solo will do some kind off trade.
    I agree with this. If you got the SOLO axlebacks for the V8 (the J-pipe version) this may be the problem. I previously had the SOLO G8 V6 axlebacks and they sounded really good. I currently have the SOLO Mach shorty catback (with the J-pipes) on my V6 and it sounds great. Yeah it doesn't sound like a V8, but it doesn't sound like a rice burner either. See if SOLO can help you out. They are a great company.
    2009 SBM GT, Sport Model, Sunroof
    Mods: Roto-Fab CAI and Radiator Cover, SOLO Mach Shorty catback exhaust with 3.5" quad tips, GXP rear diffuser, Redline Goods armrest cover

(Winter car) 2009 SBM V6, Premium Package/Comfort & Sound Package/ Sunroof
    Mods: K&N CAI, Roto-Fab Radiator Cover, SOLO Mach Shorty catback exhaust, GT Tail lights, Tint - 35%,20%