Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaro Coupler Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camaro Coupler Question

I bought the 2010 Camaro driveshaft-to-differential coupler kit to try to save some green, but it's not completely identical. The bolts will all slip through, but the ferrules pressed into the coupler aren't designed to sit into the yoke on either the driveshaft or diff like the G8 part is.

Pictures!

Here's the two of them side by side. Camaro part is on the right. If I flip the Camaro part over, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

You can see that the ferrules on the Camaro part on the right are bigger.

Now, on the car, here's the original. You can see it sits pretty much flush. This is because there are indents in the diff yoke that catch the protruding ferrules on the coupler and align it.

But with the Camaro part in the same spot...

You can see the ferrules don't sit into the yoke, meaning that the coupler doesn't quite lock into the yoke in the same way.

Now, in reality, I'm trying to mount the Camaro part backwards here. Thick grade 12 bolts are provided with the coupler kit and, in the Camaro factory service manual, those bolts go through the driveshaft yoke which, on the Camaro, isn't designed to seat onto the ferrules of the coupler. The coupler ferrules do still seat into the differential yoke on the Camaro. On the G8 part, the ferrules on both sides seat into the driveshaft and diff yokes.

So if I still use the Camaro part, I'll seat the ferrules into the diff yoke and the driveshaft yoke will just bolt through.

So my concern is thus: do those protruding ferrules actually take any serious amount of the shear force of use off the bolts such that I am risking shearing them or breaking the driveshaft yoke if I use a coupler without that ferrule lip?
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

As for why I'm doing the replacement, my stock part has lost some mass thanks to the heat from my aftermarket exhaust.
    Looking at the driveshaft yoke in the pictures above, I'm guessing the Camaro and G8 parts are pretty darn similar, but the G8 part is honed out to make room for the ferrules. Looking at pics of the Camaro driveshaft, that yoke is still surprisingly not beefy.

Post Thanks / Like

First I seen this issue. I would worry that the bushing doesn't have much mounting area and will not sit correctly or wear out the edges of the bushing.
    I didn't have this problem but I have a Camaro rear diff.
    Are you sure it's not backwards? I remember it being a flat flush fit. But that could be a difference between the diffs.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm,
    Kevin GM made a yoke change on the Camaro differentials early in production. I'm wondering if you have the older version?
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    First I seen this issue. I would worry that the bushing doesn't have much mounting area and will not sit correctly or wear out the edges of the bushing.
    I didn't have this problem but I have a Camaro rear diff.
    Are you sure it's not backwards? I remember it being a flat flush fit. But that could be a difference between the diffs.
    As I noted in my post, I am holding it backwards here. But while flipping it around means that it will now flush-mount with the diff yoke, it then won't flush mount with the driveshaft yoke. So whichever way I turn it, it won't fully seat into one of the two, while the G8 yoke seats into both.

And I do have a G8 differential and driveshaft, here. The only Camaro part in play is the coupler.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    Hmm,
    Kevin GM made a yoke change on the Camaro differentials early in production. I'm wondering if you have the older version?
    It's a G8 differential, so ... Probably so. The Camaro FSM shows the use of bolts and nuts for both the differential yoke and the driveshaft yoke. For the G8, we use bolts+nuts for the driveshaft yoke, but the differential yoke is threaded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    As I noted in my post, I am holding it backwards here. But while flipping it around means that it will now flush-mount with the diff yoke, it then won't flush mount with the driveshaft yoke. So whichever way I turn it, it won't fully seat into one of the two, while the G8 yoke seats into both.

And I do have a G8 differential and driveshaft, here. The only Camaro part in play is the coupler.

It's a G8 differential, so ... Probably so. The Camaro FSM shows the use of bolts and nuts for both the differential yoke and the driveshaft yoke. For the G8, we use bolts+nuts for the driveshaft yoke, but the differential yoke is threaded.
    Sorry I wasn't thinking lol why would you change out the GXP diff

I sent you the Manual Camaro version. Maybe the Auto version would work? About 1/2 what you paid also
    G8 uses the same one for either the manual or auto.

Edit.
    Kevin I have the auto version next door. I should have it over here in a few hours and I will compare it to your picture.
    Last edited by Greg@PacePerformance; 03-12-2015 at 07:17 AM.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant by backwards is the holes you use for the diff. Use the other three holes.
    The bigger bushings are for the flat surface. And as you said there identical if you flip the Camaro coupler.
    So the big bushings should mate flush to the part sticking like in the second pi out picture and then the drive shaft side will recess in the counter bores? Or is there no stick out on the smaller bushings?

Edit: I read your post again and I think I confused myself.
    To answer the question the bushings do take a shear load given they are in the counter bores. As I said in the other post I would worry there is too little of a mounting surface on the drive shaft side and will not make for a good fit up. I would worry that if the bolt came loose they would cause the bushings to round over or become misaligned and the seats will get all messed up.
    But my question still is, is there any bushings on the coupler that sits into the drive shaft? That would be the most important part to me.
    Last edited by BuildItYourSelf; 03-12-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    Sorry I wasn't thinking lol why would you change out the GXP diff

I sent you the Manual Camaro version. Maybe the Auto version would work? About 1/2 what you paid also
    G8 uses the same one for either the manual or auto.

Edit.
    Kevin I have the auto version next door. I should have it over here in a few hours and I will compare it to your picture.
    Greg,
    Yeah, let me know how it looks. If you flip it over and the ferrules on each side are identical, then I think it's likely what I need.
    I can bolt the Camaro part into place, as the holes are all in the right place. And while the fact that the ferrules won't allow the coupler to "seat" means the coupler is effectively wider, which pushes the driveshaft back just a hair, it IS just a hair on a splined shaft. So I'm not really worried about that. But one of the two sides won't "lock" into the yoke and will transfer all that load completely to the bolts. That's all I'm really worried about.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, you can see the countersunk bores in the holes on the driveshaft yoke in my second photo. The G8's diff yoke is identical. So the coupler seats into both.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird. My camaro couplers look like the photo on the left; gm# 92228328. Hopefully Greg can get you sorted.