Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OnStar Back Up Battery Issue #PIC4541E Diagnostic Tip- OnStar Back-up Battery Failure

Post Thanks / Like

Default OnStar Back Up Battery Issue #PIC4541E Diagnostic Tip- OnStar Back-up Battery Failure

Hi everyone,

Yesterday after starting in the Rat in Ruidoso, NM and then stopping and then the check engine light came on and the light on the rear view mirror on the far right started blinking red and I thought WTF now!

I called Onstar and they said the check engine was a loose fuel cap and the blinking red light was a low battery in the OnStar module Its #PIC4541E its for 2009 G8's is what the local GM store printed out for me.

I was wondering if you can take that module out of the trunk and replace the Battery myself or they sounded like I might need a whole new one!

Any ideas?
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the battery is actually above the hat-shelf inside the car (under the rear deck carpet). It is separate from the on-star module. It is a onetime use only battery, meant to be used in a collision. But if the main battery is disconnected improperly it will start the clock on the battery..

on-star%u00252Bbattery.jpg

Recommendation/Instructions:

Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the drivers door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power.

Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the VCIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled.

Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Important: Do not remove power from the OnStar® VCIM with the key on or with RAP activated.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the stock battery a few years back pretty straight forward remove and install
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.

Post Thanks / Like

That picture you posted where is that in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by JonRobbinSS View Post
    I believe the battery is actually above the hat-shelf inside the car (under the rear deck carpet). It is separate from the on-star module. It is a onetime use only battery, meant to be used in a collision. But if the main battery is disconnected improperly it will start the clock on the battery..

on-star%u00252Bbattery.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

It's the shelf behind the rear seat. Here's another view of the battery.

Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I yanked the XM and Onstar years ago, but didn't know the back up battery was separate. Guess I might as well pull that out as well. Thanks for the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is dead as well. But my car was under the knife for 8 months. Interested to see if you can fix it yourself or not.

2009.1 PSM GT Sport/Premium Package.
    OBX 1 7/8", 3" to 2.5" X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth, 6k HIDS, VCM OTR
    Rick C Intake and Throttle Body, MM Carbon Fiber Hood, 19x9.5 TSW Nurburgring, Pat G Tuned

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have been told you have to take the Rear seat and shelf out and you can replace the fucking battery and it runs about 50-100 bucks. Once you take stuff apart like that you can never get it back together right IMHO, the bastards.

I guess that is why my battery sounds a little weak when it sits for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    From what I have been told you have to take the Rear seat and shelf out and you can replace the fucking battery and it runs about 50-100 bucks. Once you take stuff apart like that you can never get it back together right IMHO, the bastards.

I guess that is why my battery sounds a little weak when it sits for a while.
    If you take the onstar box out, you don't need a new battery.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Onstar Box the second one in the trunk or is that the radio amp? There is a XM box and a second one on the underside of the trunk on the drivers side