Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To: Fuel Gauge Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to Carl's (Vaporworx) write-up on how to install the G8 level sensor on the CTSV module.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=40705

If you follow it, you should not need to adjust anything in the tune. I would suggest making the bends and adjustments needed to the fuel level sensor rod prior to finalizing the pump install. This means 2.50V (250 Ohm) at empty and 0.69V (40 Ohms) at full.

My method for adjusting values in the tune is if and only if you aren't getting accurate readings on the gauge and you dont want to tear out the pump again to adjust the rod. If the float reaches its peak of 0.69V prior to reaching the top of the tank, then you have to use some additional fuel to use before the float will start to drop. This would keep the gauge on full longer than normal. *This scenario CANNOT be fixed in the tune. If the float hits the top of the tank prior to getting to 0.69V, then the gauge will never reach full. *This scenario CAN be fixed in the tune. If the float bottoms out at 2.50V prior to reaching the bottom of the tank, the gauge will show empty when actually you have some fuel left. *This scenario CANNOT be fixed in the tune. And finally, if the float never bottoms out at 2.5V, then your gauge will show some fuel remaining when actually you are out. *This scenario CAN be fixed in the tune.

I had to slightly bend the rod on my ZL1 pump to get the 0.69V to 2.50V. At first I thought I wouldnt have to adjust the tune but still my gauge was slightly off. I was able to adjust the Sender % values to achieve the best result.
    Last edited by Phil@PnP Tech; 10-30-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

2. Thanks screaminChick-n thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's where I'm at. I bent the arm to where I thought I was good. BUT now I know that I'm off a bit on the full side. So that makes me wonder about the empty side. This will give me that warm and fuzzy.
    Last edited by Kermit; 10-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, time to bring this post back to life again.
    I have access to HPtuners and can't seem to find where exactly I go to get to the fuel tank numbers. Am I in VCM Editor or VCM scanner? I see where I can turn on my fuel pump to drain the tank in VCM scanner but at a loss where the "fuel system" PID (what does that stand for anyway) is located.
    I'm ready to do this. Fuel line disconnected at the fuel rail ready to drain the tank but don't want to commence until I have all my ducks in a row.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like

You do it in the scanner. Make sure you do not have any logs open be fore you add the two PID's. See video below.

http://youtu.be/ConSZ6VV8rc

I believe the turning the fuel pump on is a little goofy with HPT. You need to turn "Fuel Pump PWM" to ON and then hold down the scroll bar next to it to keep the keep the pump running. Don't know why you just cant click on but its the way it is.
    Phillip M.

Post Thanks / Like

I PMed you for more questions.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here quick video showing how to use the spreadsheet and input the values into HPTuners.

http://youtu.be/X4sVpcJu63I
    Phillip M.

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished doing this upgrade and all is working GRRRR8. Got to hand it to Phil for being on the forefront of fixing our gauge issues. I was just living with not having an accurate reading fuel gauge but this is just like back to stock.
    Thanks so much Phil for helping me out and answering all my stupid questions.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.

9. Thanks Phil@PnP Tech thanked for this post
    Likes -Ray- liked this post