N140445
    NHTSA Recall #:
    Awaiting#
    Date Issued:
    Sep 02, 2014
    Recall Title:

Ignition Switch

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2011-2013 model year (MY) Chevrolet Caprice and 2008-2009 MY Pontiac G8 vehicles. There is a risk, under certain conditions, that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the run position.

Safety Risk Description:

If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to remove the key blade from the original flip key/RKE transmitter assemblies provided with the vehicle, and provide two new keys and two key rings per key free of charge. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that drivers adjust their seat and steering column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key.

2. Thanks mvp5000 thanked for this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

very interesting I guess we all going to get letters soon

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh... I like my flip key. Of course, safety is a concern, I'll have to see what these new keys look like first. You might think they'd just give you a new existing style fixed key, but the FOB is the same size and that wouldn't change anything.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like my key too my worry now is that they will discontinue our fobs and we wont be able to get replacement ones and they do wear out

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like my fob as it is. It is not a safety hazard. Can we just recall the idiots that started this whole thing? If your knee is anywhere near the fob you are doing something during driving you should not. If you have 10 pounds of dangly things hanging off your keyring you need to grow up.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

7. Likes pir4te liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the Camaro's they remove the blade from the key fob and put a regular key on the key ring end. I'm sure ours will be very similar
    Before
    key before.gif

After
    key after.gif
    Last edited by Greg@PacePerformance; 09-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to bring tin skew them I like my fob the way it is

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 09-04-2014 at 01:28 PM.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to remember to use the fixed key if I ever take the car in again, in case they try to force it on me.

They can have my flip key when they decide to put a push button start in instead.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    They can have my flip key when they decide to put a push button start in instead.
    X2
    I plan to trade in my fixed key and tell them I lost the other. I'm also taking good transmitter and button pad
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq