Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Livernois 404 stroker, Complete! Video uploaded

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a Livernois 404 stroker, Complete! Video uploaded

Looks like Travis is going stroker. We will document the build.
    This started out as a cam swap. Travis gave the heads to Landspeed to have new intake valves, springs and a valve job done. When we got a look at the cam bearings we knew there was some issues. I measured the 1st three with a Mitutoyo bore gauge and all were over size. The center bearing had a wear pattern the width of the oil hole completely around the bearing. Travis posted the video (#12 in this thread) the cam ran out on the center journal as well. .050 mm is runout max.
    The new comp cam ran out .025 mm on the center journal. The cams were positioned on two Mitutoyo Grade AA granite v blocks.
    Schmidt Automotive in Indy will bore/hone the block.

[Travis]
    Circle D 3200 stall converter. We installed the converter a couple of weeks ago. Had I known that we would be pulling the engine we would have waited. I just figured that if we did the converter first then when we did the cam we would be ready to go.

I did not buy a DOD delete kit. I just bought most from the local dealership. Before people get their panties in a bunch I know a guy so we were able to buy the parts at a really good price.

Comp cam is 226/238 .605" .586 112+3

Livernois LS2 404 rotating assembly (pro series)

•Manley Forged Steel Stroker Crankshaft
    •Ross Racing Forged Pistons
    •Total Seal Rings
    •Manley forged H-Beam Rods w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
    •Clevite Tri-Armor Coated Bearings

ARP Main stud kit
    Clevite coated main bearing set
    Durabond coated cam bearings
    11.1 compression
    we had them pin the pistons also
    new GM Performance high volume oil pump

9/6
    The engine and transmission is out and apart. The engine is now a bare block on the engine stand.

Travis was able to grab an engine hoist and we went to work. Thank you Frank for sending back the lift plate so quickly. If you ever need anything, hit me up.

Travis working his magic on the last A/C bolt.

I see Mother's! Getting ready for the pull.

The lift plate!

Up and out!

On the stand for the tear down.

Rod bearing and crankshaft.

Almost all the crank and rod bearings had dings in them. I'm guessing the engine was dirty when it was assembled.

The oil pump.

When we were removing the pistons, we noticed one jumping around quite a bit, when the impact was on the rod bolt. I miked the crank and set the piston aside to meaure the bore. It ended up being .0097" clearance. Spec is .0009"-.0025"

9/7
    cleaning parts getting ready. debur the block. front and rear cover, timing chain cover, oil pan and all matting surfaces on the block was cleaned with a wet stone.

9/8
    oil pump has arrived

9/10
    parts show up from Livernois. missing the ARP main bolt kit
    Last edited by -Ray-; 09-27-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

2. Thanks SLA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a Livernois 404 stroker.

9/11/2014 (We will never forget!)

Inventory completed. Livernois agreed to match the price Hinson had on the ARP main bolt kit. This is going to push us back some. I needed the bolts so I could measure the bearing diameters and find the oil clearance with the crankshaft. I ordered new anvils for my 2-4" bore gauge. It's been stored since I left Calif., so who knows where they are. LOL
    i made a spreadsheet to write down all the dimensions. I used a digital scale to weight the pistons and rods. I have matched these to each other and the spot in the engine where they are going. We can't afford to have the engine balanced, so we have to do it the old fashioned way.

Inventory:

Manley forged crankshaft:

Block down to the cam bearings: Machine shop will remove and install the new coated Durabond cam bearings.

Ross racing piston and Manley forged H beam rod:

I will add more as machine shop work is completed.
    9/18 we have the block back from the machine shop

9/19:

Block is modified for the stroker crank. Livernois sent us a set of standard pistons. We had to relieve one of the pistons for the reluctor wheel. From what I under stand is this is a common issue. After talking with Chris at Ross Racing in Calif, he said all of the pistons should have that extra relief for the reluctor. I'm going to weigh all the pistons and rod before they go in the jugs.
    The bearings and crankshaft are in the block and torqued down. We have half the piston rings sized.

Area of block that needs to be removed.

Pistons all pined. Spring clips are not fun to install.

Travis working his magic on the block.

We were both a little pissed that we had to modify this piston. Thanks Rick for your help.

Travis installing the main bearing caps.

Crankshaft in.

Home Boy checking ring gap.

Started with this ring compressor. went to dealership and borrowed a Snap On ring compressor from a tech.

Timing marks lined up.

Two pistons in.

9/20

I don't like to rant much, but dealing with Livernois has been less than satisfactory. We lost a week because the shipper didn't include our ARP main bolt kit. We went first in line at the machine shop, to the end of the line. I won't ask anyone to price match again. I should have just got them from Hinson, since they had the lowest price around.
    As i did inventory, I never thought I'd need to count the piston rings. When the ring land is cut through the wrist pin you need an extra ring. We received 7 rings! We discover this on Saturday. Of course, no rings can be found locally. The shipper at Livernois needs to learn how to count! So now another weekend and we can't put the engine in the car.

Other things learned:
    Wrist pin offset. The pistons we bought the wrist pin is offset by .040"

Thrust side:
    From the flywheel side, the major thrust side is against the exhaust side on the right bank, and the intake side of the left bank.

7 pistons installed
    cam installed
    timing chain is on
    rear cover is on

[Travis] spent time cleaning the heads. I had new springs and valves installed but was not cleaned to my OCD standards. In all fairness I guess I did not pay for that.
    drivers side: head is on, lifters, pushrods, rockers installed and torqued and valve cover is on

I will say that Chris at Ross Pistons was awesome to deal with when we had a question about the offset. No where did it say anything about the pistons being offset.

[Ray] decided we did not like the timing chain. everything new but the chain. Will have new chain today, so valve cover off and rockers loosened.

9/23

Engine finally assembled.
    New timing chain installed. All rockers torqued using GM procedure.
    we installed the stock damper on, but noticed the seal fell off. We went to borrow a puller, but it was out so we called it a night.
    Once we finish that, we will transfer the engine to the hoist and torque the rear cover.

End of post 2
    Last edited by -Ray-; 09-24-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

4. Thanks drumsbh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a Livernois 404 stroker, Complete! Video uploaded

9/24

Major engine assembly completed. this was not without our share of mistakes, but we caught each one and moved on.

Time to get this off the engine stand!

A block of wood under the transmission helps to line it up. Something we learned when we did my 419.

Bolt I cut the head off so we could hang the new gaskets and headers. Worked fine on the drivers side.

Time to find out where everything goes. A couple of tricks.
    1) Leave A/C bracket loose so it can pivot so all the bolts line up.
    2) Remove driver side motor mount bracket and place it on stud. Lower engine onto bracket.

Beautiful

The good:

Chris Madsen at Ross Racing Pistons in Calif. His technical support helped us understand quite a bit about pistons and offset pins. I called him and let him know how much we appreciated his support.

Things I value:

Working with my friend and brother Travis.
    My relationship with the GMC dealership in town. I was able to get trade prices on every part we purchased through them. The new timing chain I was able to get a discount under trade pricing. Several times Travis and I walked in the service Dept. and walked out with a tool we didn't have. Jaggers GMC/Chevrolet is an awesome dealership.
    The learning experience. i had never built an engine from a bare block. Something I've always wanted to do.

The bad:

Livernois Motorsports.

Their shipping Dept. put us almost 2 weeks behind. Since the ARP mains bolt kit wasn't shipped, we lost our place in line at the machine shop. When I did inventory, I didn't think I needed to count the piston rings. We were missing an oil ring support rail. Another delay.
    Livernois parts Dept. arrogance and condescending attitude made us feel like idiots since we hadn't done this before. I won't buy there again.

Vector Motorsports.

Travis requested a stock tune 4 weeks ago. They sent him a tcm tune. I would not recommend using VMS for tuning. Unless you want to be stuck.

The latter prevented us from offering a video of the first start. after all that work, I don't think I need to tell you how disappointing that is.

9/25

I was finally able to get the VMS tune off the G8 and get my hptuners licensed. Tune emailed to RCR.

End of post 3
    Last edited by travis gore; 09-27-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Anxiously awaiting vids and pics.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
    ... more like "order the lobster"
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

9. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

10 thou over x 4" stroke = 404
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome, but why not a 419?
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Anxiously awaiting vids and pics.
    Me too
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 GT V8 View Post
    Sounds awesome, but why not a 419?
    I can't be faster
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

14. Likes -Ray- liked this post