Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety Ratings??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96_ss_impala View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking of any safety (crash rating) related info on the G8 ('08 or '09).

I can't find any info anywhere on the net.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?

I really want to purchase a G8 but I can't knowingly purchase this car for my wife to drive our two little ones without any idea on its ability to survive a crash.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

(and no I'm not selling my Impala to get a G8, it more like a newer upgrade)
    Although the G8 would have gone through compliance testing to assure it meets federal standards, I actually don't think the NHTSA ever released a crash test rating. the IIHS never crashed one.

If you do some digging through the forums here, and Penguin's crash is referenced, there have been some horrific G8 crashes - some of them by people (not Penguin) driving very questionable (e.g. low triple digits) and they emerged unscathed, or close to it. Given the heft and bulk, and Holden's focus on safety after building one of the worst cars on the planet from a crash test stand point (some time in the early 70's they crashed a Holden into a wall during early safety rating testing and the Holden appears to enter the 8th Dimension - the car just collapses completely, in the slow motion it would almost appear it is going through the wall) I would speculate they are very darn safe - as long as you treat the skinny pedal with respect and leave the stability control on.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Dammit. How did I miss this. CP's tires aren't metric!
    you brought this post back from it's 5 year hiatus for THAT???

I have a guess as to how you might have missed that...it rhymes with PALTZHEIMERS!!!!

have a lovely day, Ray!
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I caught someone reading it. So, I brought it to the top. :-)
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety Ratings

Has anyone read about the crash safety ratings on the Evo X? I havent seen or heard anything about those numbers. I do know that the car has 7 airbags now, and reinforced steel however that doesnt tell me exactly how safe the car is.

Does anyone have these numbers yet?