Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag radials

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drag radials

I realize some of this has been covered here and elsewhere but I'm hoping to get some solid specific answers all in one place.

I know I'm going to need DR's before too long but a lot of the wheel and tire sizing stuff confuses me (offsets and such). i don't want mixed sizes, 19s on front and 18s rear etc and I don't want to use the DRs for every day driving. I see a few options:

Option 1- trade my stock 19s for a set of stock 18s plus buy 2 more stock 18" rims for DRs. (are the stock 18s wide enough? Maybe not I think)

Option 2- buy aftermarket wheels, 2 for front, 4 for rear. (what sizes will fit without dicking around with fenders and such?)

Money is a factor of course but performance and decent look also factor in, probably higher than cost. Please be specific on sizes that will work etc.

thanks for any tips!

Post Thanks / Like

What about a set of winter tires? Like Blizzaks?

They are soft as hell and wear incredibly fast on the street... I wonder if they would grip better on the track too?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4gasem View Post
    What about a set of winter tires? Like Blizzaks?

They are soft as hell and wear incredibly fast on the street... I wonder if they would grip better on the track too?
    I still have the Blizzaks on my Camry. ( it's for sale, stop laughing!) They have crappy warm weather traction. They just wear fast.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

How about buying a slick set of wheels that you can use your 19's on the front and have 18' drag radials on the rear... Try ROH or have some custom 2 piece wheels set up for your car. Also try Tire Rack.

Lots of cars have diff. sizes from front to rear, like Corvettes for instance. As long as you are using the same outside diameter, there should be no problem.

RRM
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

I still feel hinky about putting 18s on back with 19s on front but please give me some specific sizes so I can look further into it. I really know shit about sizing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    I still feel hinky about putting 18s on back with 19s on front but please give me some specific sizes so I can look further into it. I really know shit about sizing...
    Tom, the key is to stay as close to your nominal tire diameter as you can. There are quite a few tire calculators on the web. You want some sidewall on your DR, so 17 or 18 will give you that. As we know, the 19's have very little side wall.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ray, i'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Wreck,

You can also check tire sizing at TireRack. Start with Bridgestone 245-40-19 RE 050's. If you go to the Spec's area, you will see the diameter, width tread width etc. You can then match up wider tires with same height. For instance, I am planning on getting a new set of wheels that are staggered. The fronts will be 8" or 8.5" wide and rears between 9" & 10". TireRack suggests 275-35-19 rears, but the 285-35-19's are closer in height, so will probably use them ( same tire - diff size) when they go off backorder. You will also need to get Tire Pressure Monitors for your new wheels, unless you remove them from your present ones. Wheel weight is also important. If you get a wheel and tire package from them, they road force balance the combos for free.

As for 18's, my guess is that the drag radials would be from 275-305 width, and have a 40 sidewall height, though have never sized them. Would think you could adjust your rear gearing by changing the height size. If you want to stay in 3rd gear thru quarter mile, you will have to make them taller if your rpm goes over 6400. Charlie or others can probably give you the right size info.

This brings me to what will happen with GXP, with higher gears,it will likely have to shift into 4th unless it's rev limiter is nearly 7000, which could hurt it's times.

Rob
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

245 40 19
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by -Ray-; 08-21-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason this stuff makes me feel pretty dumb