Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charging system issue

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this in my 05 Grand Prix GXP when I had it. I discovered as well that the charging varies based on the demands.
    An OBDII adapter and the 'Torque' app allows me to see the commanded voltage. Like stated earlier, dropping down does not mean something is wrong.
    Also, not sure with the G8's but on the GP GXP there was a plug that could be unplugged on the alternator. With it unplugged, it would come up to the 14.7 voltage or so, and stay

Post Thanks / Like

Napalm,

I took my 2009 G8 GT to a shop to have the charging system looked at because I didn't feel like spending a couple of hours trying to get it off, and a new one back on. The flashing alternator light on the dash had come on. The shop checked everything and installed a new Delco alternator. Now for the last couple of days, the light pops back on for a minute, then shuts off. This pattern keeps coming on and off as I drive.
    I'm wondering if perhaps the shop installed the wrong alternator.

Bob N
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Napalm,

I took my 2009 G8 GT to a shop to have the charging system looked at because I didn't feel like spending a couple of hours trying to get it off, and a new one back on. The flashing alternator light on the dash had come on. The shop checked everything and installed a new Delco alternator. Now for the last couple of days, the light pops back on for a minute, then shuts off. This pattern keeps coming on and off as I drive.
    I'm wondering if perhaps the shop installed the wrong alternator.

Bob N
    You just replied to a 4 year old post. Did you consider taking it back to let them know of the trouble light?
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking it back today.
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a likely possibility. I've not had the wrong alternator on my car but I could see where not having the slipper on the pulley would cause it to see the jerk or slop in the belt when the car goes into and out of AFM mode (cylinder deactivation) and that might make the light blink.

I recently replaced my alternator with the right model (one of the 3) and it's been peachy since.

Oh PSA to the rest of you guys that thin wire that is the field effect wire (2 wires - comes down from the Coolant temp sensor - plugs into the side of the back of the alternator) is covered with a convolute tube that in my 10 year old car has crumbled off. So I wrapped mine to protect the wires. SO if you're in there - it's a minimal MX event to keep the car happy.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I think that's a likely possibility. I've not had the wrong alternator on my car but I could see where not having the slipper on the pulley would cause it to see the jerk or slop in the belt when the car goes into and out of AFM mode (cylinder deactivation) and that might make the light blink.

I recently replaced my alternator with the right model (one of the 3) and it's been peachy since.

Oh PSA to the rest of you guys that thin wire that is the field effect wire (2 wires - comes down from the Coolant temp sensor - plugs into the side of the back of the alternator) is covered with a convolute tube that in my 10 year old car has crumbled off. So I wrapped mine to protect the wires. SO if you're in there - it's a minimal MX event to keep the car happy.

So I took the G8 GT back to the shop to check why I was still having the alternator light come on. The determined the one they had installed was malfunctioning. They replaced it with a new one. All is well now, and they didn't charge me a penny!
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.