Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded Driveshaft Replacement (1 piece, Aluminum or Carbon Fiber)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgraded Driveshaft Replacement (1 piece, Aluminum or Carbon Fiber)

I am in the market for a new driveshaft as my carrier bearing is starting to go. Since the two piece design has failed me once, I'm leaning towards a 1-piece unit unless someone steers me into a different direction. It appears that there are only two-three manufacturers that offer an upgraded replacement. I'm leaning towards the DriveShaft Shop 1-pc Carbon Fiber unit. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading their driveshaft to a 1-piece aftermarket unit? Any pro's, con's, or things I should be aware of? (other than it costing me an arm and a leg lol)

Thanks in advance for your input as I'd like to place an order in the next few days.
    2008 G8 GT - MGM
    Engine: VCM OTR, 90mm LS7 MAF, HSRK, RCR TB + Intake, BP Catch Can, ZR1 plugs, Kooks 1 7/8 LTs w/ HFCs, Magnaflow Catback, HPTuners, LC1 Wideband, Aeroforce
    Drivetrain: DSS CF 1-piece DS, GForce Outlaw 1500hp axles, Camaro 3.27 + posi-mod, BMR Poly/Delrin
    Suspension: Konis+Eibachs, BMR: STB, Sway Bars, End Links, Rear Adj. LCAs, Trailing Arms, Adj.Toe Rods, Subframe Connectors, Superpro Radius Arms + Control Arms
    Appearance: Roto-fab CF Engine Covers, GXP Diffuser, Holden HSV Wheel, Maverick Man Interior Trim, Holden Center Console + 3-Gauge Pod w/ HSV Gauges, Holden Armrest, SLP Firehawk Wheels
    To Be Installed: RCR Heads/Cam + Supporting mods

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the 1-pc aluminum drive shaft built by Dynatech and offered by Gforce in my car for a couple weeks last year. It fit like a glove and worked as expected. I have a lot of poly bushings in my car and with the 1-pc DS installed it made for a harsher ride compared to when the stock DS was installed.

I had a vibration problem when the car was under load, and Charlie thought the stock DS was spent but it ended up being bad axles. Gforce took care of the axles for me under warranty and since I liked the feel of the ride with the stock DS better, I had it re-installed.

So the reasons I didn't keep the 1-pc installed is, #1 the DS wasn't the problem to begin with and #2 this G8 is my daily driver and I didn't like the harsher ride - especially when under hard acceleration on the highway.
    Last edited by Executor999; 06-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

what's the price for a new one?

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
    what's the price for a new one?
    Check it.
    http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/produ...&categoryId=69

Mine is originally boxed and in the garage.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

I have a stick car with full bushings and a twin disc clutch.

I had a problem with noise and vibration going from the 2 piece to the 1 piece dynatech aluminum one. My 1 piece is sitting in the basement and my original DS is back on.

It's probably less noticable if you are auto and/or do not have bushings.

The 2 piece driveshaft and rubber giubos are actually there for a reason, believe it or not. I would consider the DSS 2 piece if I had to do it again.

Dan
    2009.5 G8 GXP White Hot 6M, Heads/Cam/Intake/3.91
    515rwhp/477tq SAE Dynojet
    7.518@93.48 1.63 60' +1072 DA (1/8 mile)
    11.815@118.85 1.83 60' +364 DA (1/4 mile)
    CBI Street Cars
    DSX Tuning
    danlewisracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Driveshaft shop 1-piece driveshafts have a CV joint and are balanced to a critical speed of 150 mph.

I bought a DSS Carbon Fiber 1-piece and had it installed for a very short time. I have broken 2 OEM driveshafts so decided to spend the money for the DSS CF 1-piece. My diff has been making sounds like it is on the way out and I think I am going to have to replace it. It was doing this before the swap to the 1-piece DS but the OEM DS's failing bearing was masking the diff sounds. To help diagnose the diff, I put on quieter stock axle backs and a new stock DS so I can tell you about the differences between the 2-piece OEM and 1-piece driveshafts. Because I may need to fund a new diff and may step up from 3.27 to 3.45, I may keep the OEM DS installed and help fund the diff with the CF DS.

The Driveshaft Shop is fantastic to work with.

As for the downsides of a CF 1-piece, they have billet aluminum couplers so they do transfer more noise that OEM. The hollow tube also seems to amplify sounds from the diff a little more but not nearly as much as the 1-piece aluminum tubes do. I have full bushings. I only really noticed it if the sound system was off so it is not all that loud, it is just louder than stock. On the plus side, the CF shaft is smaller in diameter than the aluminum 1-piece so tunnel clearance is better. I removed the heat shields at the center and rear but probably only needed to remove the center one (my Center x-muffler takes up some space). Shifts are quick and it is really easy to bark the tires as all the energy is sent right to the rear and not absorbed by rubber couplers. Because of my diff problems, I never wanted to take the car fast enough to find out how well the CF DS was balanced at really high speeds so will only say that in normal day-to-day driving it felt like a stock DS.

Something I discovered it that the 6A and 6M DSS drive shafts are the same center section (tube). The difference in length is accommodated by different thickness front (trans) couplers. I discovered this when they sent the wrong front couple and had to exchange it for a 6A coupler.
    Last edited by G8V8; 06-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to do it is get a two piece chomoly one made.
    I emailed force a few years back and they said no problem on making it. I think it was $800-$900 not sure.
    But these guys are right the stock shaft is two piece for a reason. And the engine is a little crooked and drive shaft a little dog legged to reduce the vibrations.
    Drag or street racing one piece carbon all day.
    Daily touring car. Two piece.
    I have my stock auto drive shaft still. I'll sell it to you cheap if you want something to hold you over. It only had 30k on it.
    Pm me if interested.
    Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome feedback, thanks everyone. I have full poly bushings and all BMR components in the rear so I'm aware that the 1-piece may have more noise. Less concerned about noise, I just hope that CF dampens/reduces vibrations, especially at higher speeds. Sounds like the 1-piece definitely helps put the power to the ground faster and make the car feel less sluggish, correct? I have a 3.27 diff and when I swap the DS, I'll be adding my Yank 2800 stall + trans cooler. My car will be making more power and I know if I had problems with the stock DS with just full bolt-ons, I know I'll be pushing it with what's in store in the next few months. I've already replaced the rubber couplings before due to shredding them apart from the hard shifts/launches.

G8V8, did it take the full 3-4 weeks to get the CF DS made and shipped to you? Any suggestions or recommendations for when I call them? Looks like they do not have a 2 piece option but looks like in the past they may have. (unless they don't advertise it currently on their site)
    2008 G8 GT - MGM
    Engine: VCM OTR, 90mm LS7 MAF, HSRK, RCR TB + Intake, BP Catch Can, ZR1 plugs, Kooks 1 7/8 LTs w/ HFCs, Magnaflow Catback, HPTuners, LC1 Wideband, Aeroforce
    Drivetrain: DSS CF 1-piece DS, GForce Outlaw 1500hp axles, Camaro 3.27 + posi-mod, BMR Poly/Delrin
    Suspension: Konis+Eibachs, BMR: STB, Sway Bars, End Links, Rear Adj. LCAs, Trailing Arms, Adj.Toe Rods, Subframe Connectors, Superpro Radius Arms + Control Arms
    Appearance: Roto-fab CF Engine Covers, GXP Diffuser, Holden HSV Wheel, Maverick Man Interior Trim, Holden Center Console + 3-Gauge Pod w/ HSV Gauges, Holden Armrest, SLP Firehawk Wheels
    To Be Installed: RCR Heads/Cam + Supporting mods

Post Thanks / Like

The two piece I'm talking about was never advertised.
    Its just a stock remake in cromoly. They also said they can do aluminum. But something about the center carrier needed a custom mount bracket. I dunno.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

It did take pretty much that much time.

I've sent my CF 1-piece back to DSS to be checked out and blessed before selling it. They are even going to re-check the balance, just to make sure it is perfect before i sell it. It is probably not needed but with something as exotic and expensive as a CF drive shaft, I just feel better knowing that I can sell it with the full knowledge it is 100% like it was when DSS shipped it to me.

If you are interested, PM me and we can discuss it.

If you order one, make sure they know if you have an auto or Manual trans. It affects which front coupler they send you. The problem, at least for me, with the 2-piece shafts, whether OEM or aftermarket, is that both stock shafts I damaged failed because the rubber holder for the center carrier bearing tore and let the DS move around in the carrier. When I had my bigger cam and FAST102 I have over 450 rwhp. I know guys who have more power and have had good luck with the stock DS. Now with my smaller cam and lower rwhp, I expect the stock DS to hold up fine but who knows for sure.
    Last edited by G8V8; 06-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads