Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgraded Driveshaft Replacement (1 piece, Aluminum or Carbon Fiber)

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8V8 View Post
    the rubber holder for the center carrier bearing tore and let the DS move around in the carrier.
    Center bearing complete.
    Part number 92189411
    (same for auto or manual)
    $75 to $100 depending where you shop.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

When I upgraded I actually had a 2 pc Driveshaft shop driveshaft setup and it was great.... brg setup was 100x better than stock.... it was made for a 6L80 to 9" rear end ..... now I have the 4L80 and went to a 1 pc cause the shorter driveshaft is better and 1 pc works... the 2 pc is sitting in my garage....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Paul View Post
    Center bearing complete.
    Part number 92189411
    (same for auto or manual)
    $75 to $100 depending where you shop.
    this is good to know...some of the apprehension comes from GTO experience - the carrier bearing was not available separately.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
    this is good to know...some of the apprehension comes from GTO experience - the carrier bearing was not available separately.
    Not strictly true.
    GM and Holden removed the Part number for the center bearing from the Commodore and GTO parts listing.
    But if you knew the number, you could always still buy the part.
    I've got a new genuine GM center bearing here right now (for a GTO), I bought a couple months ago.
    Last edited by Crazy Paul; 06-12-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Things have changed for the better. When I was looking into it a few years ago when G8s had problems with driveshaft balance and they put out TSB about it, I talked with GM customer service, my dealer (a great service manager), Greg at Pace and the people who were doing the warranty repair and rebalancing for GM and was told that center bearings and rubber couplers were not available and that the only solution if you had problems not warrantied, was to buy a new driveshaft. The outfit even told me that they replaced the couplers on the DS they rebalanced but that they had to account for every one they requested from GM and reference a warranty claim number.

Glad to hear that the DS repair problems have been addressed and that parts are available.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Addicted Member 2lazy4agoodname's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So 2 year thread bump here. Anyone have and kept the DSS CF one installed for a substantial amount of time? Torn between the DSS 1 piece CF, DSS 2 piece, or the 4" dynotech.
    16 SSB SS A6
    VCM, KOOKS, 3" Solo, RCR MANI & TB, Eibach, VMR
    09 PBM G8 GT -
    Built By Rick Crawford Racing
    404 Stroker / Ported LSA Blower / 2" Headers / Built Trans / Alky Methanol
    RCR Heads & Cam / TPIS TB / ATI Balancer / Vaporworks & V Pump
    Solo / CTS-V Brembos / BMR / VMR V701 / H&R Coilovers / Holden SSV Conversion

9.89 @ 138.8
    09 WH GXP M6 (#1827 of 1829)
    Roto-Fab / Solo Mach Shorty

Post Thanks / Like

I still have mine and no issues here for me. DSS CF 1-piece with about 10k miles on it
    2008 G8 GT - MGM
    Engine: VCM OTR, 90mm LS7 MAF, HSRK, RCR TB + Intake, BP Catch Can, ZR1 plugs, Kooks 1 7/8 LTs w/ HFCs, Magnaflow Catback, HPTuners, LC1 Wideband, Aeroforce
    Drivetrain: DSS CF 1-piece DS, GForce Outlaw 1500hp axles, Camaro 3.27 + posi-mod, BMR Poly/Delrin
    Suspension: Konis+Eibachs, BMR: STB, Sway Bars, End Links, Rear Adj. LCAs, Trailing Arms, Adj.Toe Rods, Subframe Connectors, Superpro Radius Arms + Control Arms
    Appearance: Roto-fab CF Engine Covers, GXP Diffuser, Holden HSV Wheel, Maverick Man Interior Trim, Holden Center Console + 3-Gauge Pod w/ HSV Gauges, Holden Armrest, SLP Firehawk Wheels
    To Be Installed: RCR Heads/Cam + Supporting mods

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I can get a brand new stock G8 driveshaft for about 390 and 60 dollar shipping to Tucson. What kind of rear wheel horsepower can the stock one handle? The only other one that seems like a great product would be the DSS one piece carbon fiber one for 1400 dollars. So are there any updated reviews of this product for the extra 1K I would spend?
    2009 g8gt - rotofab cai, ported throttle body & FAST intake, 1 7/8s kooks shorties with 3 inch exhaust. 3600 circle D triple disc stall and tranni cooler, udp, hoosier 17 inch drag radials. 223/235 cam/gmpp Heads. HP Tuners. 416 with 11.3 to 1 compression.

best time: 11.47 @ 118.7 3000 feet da
    best top end 119.4 4000 feet da

Post Thanks / Like

No complaints on my end for the DSS CF 1 piece. Been great ever since I installed it ~12K miles ago. The one plus I can really appreciate about a 1-piece DS vs OEM is because the throttle response is substantially better. Yes you get a little more drive train noise and I think part of the reason why I notice it too is because I run the BMR poly/delrin differential bushings too. My setup also includes GForce 1500 HP Outlaw axles and a Camaro 3.27 diff with posi-mod.
    I like the DSS 1 piece CF DS so much I'm planning to buy another for my daily driver, a 2016 STi Limited.
    2008 G8 GT - MGM
    Engine: VCM OTR, 90mm LS7 MAF, HSRK, RCR TB + Intake, BP Catch Can, ZR1 plugs, Kooks 1 7/8 LTs w/ HFCs, Magnaflow Catback, HPTuners, LC1 Wideband, Aeroforce
    Drivetrain: DSS CF 1-piece DS, GForce Outlaw 1500hp axles, Camaro 3.27 + posi-mod, BMR Poly/Delrin
    Suspension: Konis+Eibachs, BMR: STB, Sway Bars, End Links, Rear Adj. LCAs, Trailing Arms, Adj.Toe Rods, Subframe Connectors, Superpro Radius Arms + Control Arms
    Appearance: Roto-fab CF Engine Covers, GXP Diffuser, Holden HSV Wheel, Maverick Man Interior Trim, Holden Center Console + 3-Gauge Pod w/ HSV Gauges, Holden Armrest, SLP Firehawk Wheels
    To Be Installed: RCR Heads/Cam + Supporting mods