Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Video Cable Fabrication **56K Beware**

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Video Cable Fabrication **56K Beware**

I have had a few PM's where I have been asked how I created the cable I used to plug into the radio for the Rear Aux video/audio. He is an explanation of how I created it from some parts that are relatively easy to find.
    Wiring diagram from G8V8.

The picture below shows the parts I needed. I stole the wires from an old computer that was ready for the junkyard. The Phono Jacks I bought from Radio Shack (got reamed too $4.29).

The create the audio cable, I took two of the two wire connectors and super glued them together. I replace the wires on the right side. The upper will be black for negative and the lower was removed because it is not needed. (Check the diagram)

On the other end I soldered the Phono jacks. The yellow will be the right and the white will be the left. The ground will be split for both as a negative. The the picture shows the Phono jacks soldered but without the negative connected.

The next photo shows where I connected the negatives together. I then wrapped it with electrical tape.

I next tore apart the right side of the dash. This is fairly staright forward so I'm not going into detail here. I removed the right-side lower panel and the righ-side panel as well as the glovebox and the panel beneath. Then I plugged in the cable for a test.

Everything went to plan with my test so I took it out and wrapped it well with electrical tape, so I do not have to dink with it in the future.

Plugged it in and secured it.

Where the cigarette lighter is is an opening at the top. This worked out perfect as I can store the cables there and pull them down when I want to use them. I really do not have a need for the backup camera, so I plan to use mine for video games and movies when I have to wait for one of my kids at their sporting events. The next photo shows the Nintendo Wii connected. I had the video connected earlier which was nice, bith with the audio, it is fantastic.

Please do this at your own risk, knowing that there is some risk. I did not run into any problems, but I do not know much about this other than the cable I have fabbed up.

All credit for anything displayed should be given to others (Like G8V8, dede (g8banned), NoLimit (g8banned) and of course Charlie GRRRR8) and I am only reiterating what has already been shown.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, I get to be the first. Holy crap Chris! I think I can see the atoms moving in your photo's.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ordered my camera on ebay...just need to pick up the computer connectors now!

Great write up - thanks for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

G8smitty,
    Great write-up and thanks for the nod. I got the real connectors because i work for a multimillion dollar electronics assembler and got Tyco Germany to sample me a couple audio and video connectors. I was looking at other options for connectors that are easily available in the US but what you found is by far the easiest for anybody to get. I will look up and post some part numbers for them but most local computer stores should carry them.

The part number for the video jack I used was Radio Shack 274-0337 and for the audio I used a single stereo jack, that is what my XM receiver wanted. It's part number is 274-274.

The only caution I would offer is with the small 2-pin connectors, make sure you get connected to the right radio pins when you plug the in.

Thanks for your contribution to the knowledge base. The same goes for the others, dede and nolimit and of course, "Mr. Banned-again", Grrrr8.

Ed
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Oh boy, I get to be the first. Holy crap Chris! I think I can see the atoms moving in your photo's.
    Sorry Ray. I shrunk them down a little. Hopefully that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8Smitty View Post
    Sorry Ray. I shrunk them down a little. Hopefully that helps.
    No worries Chris, I was just messin with you. It was a really great write up. Is that really video on the display? If so that is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we lost the pictures. Could someone please add.