Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flare & Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flare & Tuning

Hey Guys,

So I've been browsing the board trying to get an understanding of our flare issues going from 2-3, 3-4 and even 4-5. Most of the descriptions are fairly vague as far as the tuning in relation to flare. Currently I have a tune from g-force of pearland (near Houston). The flare with this tune is absolutely crazy in sport/manual and pretty bad in drive. I'm talking a flare of 1,500-2,000 RPM under moderate partial throttle. Under WOT it can bounce to almost 7k rpm for a second.

I busted out HP Tuners and flashed back to the factory tune and the flare is around 300-700rpm or so, and not as bad in drive. I'm assuming this is a seal issue and I'm going to take it to the dealer as I'm still within warranty, hopefully they will fix the trans. Video w/o tune:

Assuming my car gets fixed, what is the deal tune wise? Should I drive over and get Patrick G to do my tune? Flash back and try g-force's tune again? Could g-force's tune have caused damage? G-force is a reputable shop.

What about the tune specifically influences this behavior and what can cause damage? I'm not familiar with TCM tuning, I've always had someone else tune TCM, all I've really tuned myself on the G8 is minor things like the speed limiter. I have tuned ECM myself on a 4th gen camaro for forced induction w/o issue, but again had someone else tune TCM. So I'm really trying to understand the tuning aspects of the TCM, is I guess what I'm saying.

Post Thanks / Like

I really doubt that the tune did this. There is a TSB on this issue so even GM has admitted to the problem. Get it fixed then flash back the TCM tune
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's completely screwed now. Throwing P0700, P0796 and P2724 and wont hold gear and is in limp mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Something physically is wrong there. Doesnt look to be tune related. Reason it got better when you flashed it to the stock tune was because you somewhat reset the trans learn when you relash the tcm. It will then learn again, and the problem with continue.

Sounds like its time to get that tsb done.
    PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster Stg 3 clutch, LSA S/C, cam, fuel system 10.81@131.9 1,836 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons 13.06@106.7, 2,200 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

2002 Bonneville SSEi- Self tune, 3.4" pulley, FWI. The beater

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone post the TSB?
    2009 MSM GT
    Roto-fab, OBX, Solo, VMS 1.5 cam, Brembo's, Staggered VMR 710, Eibachs, BMR Sways, TVS2300, AIS meth injection, and RCR tuned

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I think that makes sense. I had a flat bed take it to the dealer. Hopefully they warranty it. Searching for that TSB as well.

EDIT: Found the TSB I think http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...ighlight=flare
    Last edited by oesman; 03-29-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So the dealer is saying they will warranty it as long as it's not water damage. Barring trans cooler issues and flood waters, which I do not believe have occurred, it looks like they will warranty it. I'm supposed to even get a loaner tomorrow, been renting a shitty rental V6 mustang.

EDIT: Got a loaner, so far so good on the warranty stuff. They gave me a GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L with 4.9 miles on the clock, which is definitely an improvement from the rustang.
    Last edited by oesman; 04-03-2014 at 04:21 PM.

8. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ good deal
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm supposed to get the G8 back tomorrow. Dealer had it for almost a month, but I'm not mad since they gave me a brand new truck to drive, and drive it I did, put over 1,200 miles on it. The total cost to me is very minor, they charged me a tiny bit of labor due to the corsa setup on it getting in the way.

I haven't seen the full list of repairs yet, the guy told me it was a minor overhaul, but... I've never heard of such a thing on something like this, so I asked him for details... and.... the details were clearly several pages long, not minor. Service rep rattled down the extensive list of line items and I came to the conclusion that they basically completely gutted the trans down to the case, cleaned it of debris, it and replaced pretty much every component. Basically sounds like the solenoids/valve body issue, incorrect pressure, fused clutch plates, tcm, etc... etc... I'll post the full list of parts replaced tomorrow.

These transmissions seem very complicated based on the assembly/service videos I've seen. I would have preferred they just swapped the trans out due to this level of damage, so I'm a little bit concerned, but I imagine it will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe bud, ur dealer would'be loved to just replace ur trans but due to something called a cost cap analysis gm deemed it cheaper to rebuild than replace. He used was "soft rebuild" I'm assuming. Our trans are fairly straight forward, it always looks complicated until you rebuild them a few times.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    09 gt aka "Zeus"
    Vararam, Solo shorty exhaust, diablo tune(no longer)....... PAT G TUNE!! , GXP diffuser, eibach pros, fe3 shocks/struts