Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Permatex Gasket Remover

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Permatex Gasket Remover

Permatex gasket remover is the shit. I remember the amount of scraping I had to do the first time I pulled the heads off. Now apply wait 15 minutes and wipe. Too bad the can is on the small side. I need to go buy another tomorrow.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It IS good, isn't it! There was a time, long, long ago when Permatex did not made a gasket remover. About all they made was #1 and #2. This was before the advent of silicone gasketing systems in a tube. All you had was rubber, cork, asbestos...and Permatex #1 and #2, which make tar and intake valley sludge look downright clean and friendly, and still do. That is all we had, so we used it. That is just the way that it was. And when we were finished we had that brown shit smeared everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If you didn't have access to Tri-Chlor (later banned as a carcinogen, shortly after benzene) you weren't getting #1 or #2 off any time soon. This was before nitrile gloves, so you just had brown hands for three weeks. Other stuff would EVENTUALLY get it off, but your tear-down time going to be long. I still have a tube of both, and for some very specific applications it is hard to beat, so reluctantly I use it. There have been times though that I have drive 27 miles to the nearest auto parts store just to get a can of their gasket remover to get it off rather than struggle without it, and a tube of their blue or gold for the build-back, in aversion to using their #1 or #2 that I had here.
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 01-26-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.