Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PO449- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Control Circut

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PO449- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Control Circut

Not sure if this is the right place for a Emission question. but here goes.

CEL light came on and this is the code the tech found. Invoice says "tested Vent valve circut. OK Has internal open in the valve. Recommend replacement".

What and where is it, and is this something I could do to save $300? We were told it wasn't going to cause any damage to leave it, but cel would stay on. Got 68K on 2009 G8 GT, and starting to see some sensors going. Anything in the vicinity of the work that should be replaced while in there, whether done by me or a GM tech?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a similar issue that is being played out on a thread on another board. Long story short, mine is being replaced under an extended warranty. Mine originated with the same code. My tech recommended that charcoal canister be replaced as well but I have so far resisted since I do not believe the replacement is necessary. Their reasoning as that it is possible for fuel to get into the canister. I suspect that this would cause other issues.

There is a thread that explains how to do the replacement but it was above my level of expertise due to the required removal of at least the driver rear tire and some have said even more to complete.

This is why I am having GM do it instead.

3. Thanks dblott thanked for this post
    Likes dblott liked this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are threads that go into the gory details. But the valve and canister are located above the fuel tank. If just replacing the valve, some have been able to do it without dropping the tank.

In NY, you won't pass the state inspection and neither the valve or canister are covered by the regular warranty. It cost me $750 for a dealer to do the job.

5. Thanks dblott thanked for this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys. This gives me a little hope although your name WhatNext has a touch of foreshadowing. lol

We have an extended warranty, (which has already proven valuable), and were reading yesterday in the Federal Emission section of the warranty booklet that "listed emission components are covered 8yr/80K". Now we need to find the list. Brother-in law found a list for the Malibu and the cannister was included if I remember correctly what he read to me over the phone. He had a similar problem with his motorhome and called the companies regional representative who called the dealer and told them it was covered and to take care of it. I'll try to keep you all in the loop as I progress, but it may take a couple of days. Got to get to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    There are threads that go into the gory details. But the valve and canister are located above the fuel tank. If just replacing the valve, some have been able to do it without dropping the tank.

In NY, you won't pass the state inspection and neither the valve or canister are covered by the regular warranty. It cost me $750 for a dealer to do the job.
    They are NOT above the tank. You DO NOT have to drop the tank to replace them. The only thing above your fuel tank is your back seat.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

8. Thanks dblott thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dblott View Post
    Thanks you guys. This gives me a little hope although your name WhatNext has a touch of foreshadowing. lol

We have an extended warranty, (which has already proven valuable), and were reading yesterday in the Federal Emission section of the warranty booklet that "listed emission components are covered 8yr/80K". Now we need to find the list. Brother-in law found a list for the Malibu and the cannister was included if I remember correctly what he read to me over the phone. He had a similar problem with his motorhome and called the companies regional representative who called the dealer and told them it was covered and to take care of it. I'll try to keep you all in the loop as I progress, but it may take a couple of days. Got to get to work.
    I hope this works for you. If not, do a search to find threads (mine included) regarding the DIY fix. It is a 30 dollar part, and a few hours work. I had to source the part for a 2008 GT from the GTO parts bin - exactly the same part - since no part number was listed for the 2008 GT. Some 09s have a different part, of which there are pics of in one of the threads. The "quick release" fittings can be a pain, but the rest of the job is fairly straightforward. Do NOT hand over $750 for this unless you have no business with a wrench in your hand (no insult intended - just an indication of the level of mechanical ability needed).

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.

10. Thanks dblott thanked for this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    Thanks for the correction.
    no worries...it is a common misconception

Post Thanks / Like

GM procedure is to drop tank. So I wouldn't be so quick to call people out on what required or not required.

Post Thanks / Like

Since Todd was the first one to do this I wouldn't be do quick to call him out.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

15. Likes gr8lover liked this post