Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $20 Ebay Catch Can Made Better. DIY.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I have a modded e-bay can and it has worked well for me. You did a way better job with yours than i did.

One question about the drain. How strong is the spring that holds it closed? It might be designed for positive pressure since it usually resides on the bottom of the oil pan. As long as the spring is strong enough to keep it closed against vacuum your good. Or does it actually lock?
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!
    Now thats using your noggin!

With some extra man power and a little ingenuity looks like you achieved a nice product for a few bucks!
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    Nice! I have a modded e-bay can and it has worked well for me. You did a way better job with yours than i did.

One question about the drain. How strong is the spring that holds it closed? It might be designed for positive pressure since it usually resides on the bottom of the oil pan. As long as the spring is strong enough to keep it closed against vacuum your good. Or does it actually lock?
    Thanks!! What did you do to yours?
    Good question about the drain valve. I didn't even think about that. It seems like it has a pretty strong spring, but it doesn't lock. I definitely don't want an issue. I'll put some oil in it to lube up the spring and o-rings, then pull vacuum to find out how much it will hold. You don't know how much our cars pull, do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MongosG8 View Post
    Nice work!
    Now thats using your noggin!

With some extra man power and a little ingenuity looks like you achieved a nice product for a few bucks!
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morphs View Post
    Thanks!! What did you do to yours?
    Good question about the drain valve. I didn't even think about that. It seems like it has a pretty strong spring, but it doesn't lock. I definitely don't want an issue. I'll put some oil in it to lube up the spring and o-rings, then pull vacuum to find out how much it will hold. You don't know how much our cars pull, do you?
    Not sure, but I've seen mine at around -20 in HG
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've figured out a pretty simple way to modify the valve, so it will lock closed. I'll pull it apart and mess with it. And post the results in this thread of course.