Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin turbo

Ah the executive decision between turbo or supercharger. I was told the turbo charger gives you better gains but you have the benefits of the supercharger right off the line. which will really give you more hp and torque and what will really give you the better 1/4 time? Also, I heard you can't get the twin turbo kit with headers. Is this true? What mod's can't you get with the turbo system that you can get with the super charger? And the biggie, which is easier to install?

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use shorties with the twin turbo kit.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go turbo all day long... Stay out of the boost and MPG will be almost stock...

Yeah I can't see why the shorties wouldn't work when they are designed to be used with stock exhaust... Right?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

There's definately more of a HP gain with the twin turbo. The drive line concerns still scare me away from either this or the supercharger.
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Twin turbo will either use manifolds or short headers. blowers are the easier to install due to the turbo kits having blow off valves, wastegates, and oil feed and return lines, down pipes and all other necessary exhaust piping. Twin turbo by far makes more power and combined with a stall and a name brand two step setup (IE a Harlan Two Step) itll take any blower or supercharger off the line as well. As said in previous post, turbos are more economical as well as long as you keep your foot off the pedal.
    Last edited by '02 ws6; 08-19-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL69 View Post
    There's definately more of a HP gain with the twin turbo. The drive line concerns still scare me away from either this or the supercharger.
    I wouldn't worry about the trans at least.

Also, the nice thing with magnacharger is you can purchase a drivetrain warranty from them that covers whatever your factory warranty wont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the trans at least.

Also, the nice thing with magnacharger is you can purchase a drivetrain warranty from them that covers whatever your factory warranty wont.
    I believe that is only available if your trans is rated for the HP, ours is not. That's the last I heard anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm i'm still not sure but tempted to go with a supercharger. peak #'s don't mean much really
    to me - i like the 'under curve' numbers
    -= R.I.P Charlie =-
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT 888 Edition #470
    Texas-Speed 418 LS3, Patrick G 234/242 114LSA+2 Cam & Livernois Ported Heads & Valve-job, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Fasterproms Ported TB & Manifold, ECM/TCM Tune by PatrickG, 1-7/8" American Racing Headers, Circle-D 258mm 2800rpm Converter, Powerbond 25% Pulley, Pedders xA Street II Kit, HSV VE GTS Fenders, HSV VE GTS 20" Wheels (285/30 & 245/35), 20% Tint, Holden Rear Sunshade, Empty Wallet Mod(tm)
    http://g8gt.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    I believe that is only available if your trans is rated for the HP, ours is not. That's the last I heard anyway.
    Not that I am aware of, the Mustang 5-speed auto is not rated for the HP that they make w/ a maggie, but they still do the warranty.

I also would NOT be worried about the 6l80e trans, Livernois made 651 rwhp in an 07 vette and it went 17k miles before it let go. The car is street raced every weekend, and ALL of those miles were hard miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer View Post
    Not that I am aware of, the Mustang 5-speed auto is not rated for the HP that they make w/ a maggie, but they still do the warranty.

I also would NOT be worried about the 6l80e trans, Livernois made 651 rwhp in an 07 vette and it went 17k miles before it let go. The car is street raced every weekend, and ALL of those miles were hard miles
    You may be right, just seems I remember discussion about it.

More worried about the driveshaft and diff/axles really.