Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Made my own Allergy Relief cabin filters. Spares for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Made my own Allergy Relief cabin filters. Spares for sale.

I'm in the HVAC and filtration industry and I was shocked at the price of our oem style pleated cabin filters.
    This is the setup I have been running in mine for about 4 months. The aluminum frame fits where the pleated filter once sat. The filter pads tuck around the side and are over-sized to stop any unfiltered air from going around. That was a problem I saw on the pleated filter.
    This filter material is less restrictive to airflow than the pleated filters and it does a better job of stopping dirt, dust, and micro-sized particles that cause allergies. It is treated with an anti-microbial coating, meaning that it zaps mold spores so you breathe cleaner healthier air.

So once the aluminum frame is in place, you don't have to take it back out to change filters. Honestly, the frame doesn't slide right in. You'll have to pull upwards on the top part of the black plastic cover to fit the frame into the pocket (you can see this in the 2nd picture), but you only have to do this once. When the filter is ready to be changed, pull the used filter pad out, throw away, and tuck in a fresh one.

I made 4 aluminum frames extra.

$25.10 for a Frame and 6 Filters (4.18 each), +shipping
    or
    $40.20 for a Frame and 12 Filters (3.35 each), +shipping

To figure the shipping cost, 6 pads will go in a 13" x 13" x 6" box that weighs 3lbs, and 12 pads will go in a 13" x 13" x 12" box that weighs 4lbs.
    I'm in zip code 33584

2009 GT
    rotofab cai, kooks lt's, tune, 3.27 gears, bmr sways, 6/4 pot brembos, hawk hps, button paddle shifters, 275/30/20 square setup. occasionally autocrossed

PB = 12.783, 3.70 gears, fbo and tune.

Want better cabin filters at a lower price? Check my thread! 6 for $25!!!!
    http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=38105

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberbond merv 8 brochure 8-23-2013.pdf
    ^Here is some literature on the filter media.

2009 GT
    rotofab cai, kooks lt's, tune, 3.27 gears, bmr sways, 6/4 pot brembos, hawk hps, button paddle shifters, 275/30/20 square setup. occasionally autocrossed

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, thanks for doing this!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

If I hadnt bought a case of oem cabin filters id be all over that. Looks like a really awesome idea..... still contemplating buying. You want to make one for a 2012 grand Cherokee?

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Mac! Thos one's going on my to do list.

2009.5 G8GT Stryker Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    09 White GT Sport/Premium/Moon roof, Sirius Radio, tinted, VG Shark Fin, GXP diffuser and Camaro wheels still sitting in a box.
    Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LT with HFCs and Solo Axle backs, Vararam intake, HSRK, Reckart 90mm maf housing and updated LS3 maf, homemade catch can, and Tuned by Master Patrick Guerra on Kurt's dyno in Victoria TX. I use 93 octane, Mobil 1 synthetic, and Prolong additive.
    Current power numbers as Sept 3, 2012 - 391HP/395LBS
    No new qtr mile times as of yet.
    Previous Best 13.175 @ 103mph - Dallas Raceway with Home made oil catch can, Vararam intake, HSRK, X-pipe, HP Tuners (Intense Tune)

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Australia the VE cars do not come with Cabin Filters already installed. Instead they have a plastic leaf screen, which is in essence the same thing as the aluminium frame above except they are molded in plastic.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you have to change these filters?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2008 White G8 GT
    Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catted X-Pipe, Kooks Catback Exhaust with single 3" tips, SLP UDP, Volant CAI & AMSOIL filter, BMR stuff
    351hp / 370tq via Dynojet (Before 2012 changes)
    2012 changes - Yank Converter, DSS 1 piece Driveshaft, Forgestar F14 Staggered

AMSOIL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fixem2 View Post
    How often do you have to change these filters?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Here is one with 4k miles on it.
    Disregard the color. The orange was old stock, but identical to the green. Also, the screen attached to the filter was my first attempt.
    I used the a/c, or had the fan blowing whenever i drove, even when the windows were down just to see how quick they'd get dirty.
    In my example (heavy usage) I would let it go to 5k miles.

After 4k miles of constant use

The front side of the filter compared to a fresh piece. Looks filthy, but it's large particles on the top layer of the filter pad.

The rear compared to a fresh piece after 4k miles. The rear side is what filters the small particles and allergens. When this side gets a little darker gray hue evenly across, it's time to change.

2009 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Interested, but where would I get filters from in the future?