Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion to 8-rib serpentine system

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Conversion to 8-rib serpentine system

Since upgrading the blower to the overdrive cog setup along with porting of the blower, heads and going to the LS7 MAF, I've had issues with the 6-rib serpentine belt shredding under harsh conditions such as road course events. After the second trip to VIR where my belt came apart, I decided it was time to go to an 8-rib setup. I did some research and found a couple companies that supplied kits to do this with the major pulleys (balancer, alternator, power steering) but I would still have to find the idlers and purchase the blower pulley. The cost of these kits is roughly $1500-1700 depending on supplier which is kind of high for me! Rick Crawford encouraged me to look for stock pulleys and try to do it myself. I decided to go this route and see what I could do. I did more research than I can remember, looking for pulleys that might work. Typically the inner diameter and width are published but with no information on bearing position front to back. The bottom line is that I wound up working with local auto parts stores to buy pulleys and try them out, return them, try others, return them, try others, etc. until I found the right combination that worked. I had to have a new balancer in any case and found one on e-bay from ATI that was a blemish that they were selling for half-price! They had a couple of them in case anyone else is interested in going this route. The blower pulley was ordered from Magnuson of course and I couldn't find a power steering pulley that worked so I ordered one from Innovators West. All the other parts are off the shelf, some require a washer behind them to get them to the right position and the lower idler had to be machined on the back as did the alternator pulley, but with some work, I saved a ton of money and have a successful 8-rib setup. I won't publish individual prices on the parts to respect forum policy, but the total cost at the end was $630, or a savings of about $900! Below are the parts I used along with a photo of the setup. One more thing: I wanted to use a Gates Fleetrunner Green belt and this was a little dicey. They only make one length that would work for me and it's pretty tough to get on! I have to get the belt on everything except the upper idler via relieving the tension via the tensioner, and, starting with the upper idler off its spindle with the belt under it, use a screwdriver through the idler ID, catch the ID of the spindle and leverage it on with the belt under it (kudos to Rick for figuring out the method!). It's a little tight but works well. I'll look at the possibility of relieving a little material on the tensioner stop to allow the tensioner a little more range at some point.

Balancer, 8-rib: ATI Super Damper 917345, (stock diameter, for Corvette)
    Lower Idler: (between balancer and alternator) Dayco 89102, smooth, powdered metal, 46mm wide. Machined off ~5mm from the backside (the bearing is offset toward this side), used 1 washer behind.
    Alternator pulley: Ford 208-14000, Wagner W055-25 machined roughly 5mm off the back of the pulley and boss on the alternator
    Power Steering Pulley: Innovators West, part for the Corvette. Had to machine the ID as the press was too high, matched the stock one at 0.667/9 inches.
    Upper idler (smooth, on blower): Dayco 89094, smooth, plastic, 74mm OD
    Blower pulley, 8-rib: Magnuson 2.8in blower pulley
    8-rib tensioner pulley: Dayco 89053, needs one washer behind it.
    Belt, 8-rib, Green Stripe: Gates Fleetrunner K081035HD 104 inch length

8-rib belt photo.JPG
    I'll be happy to answer any questions if you have any!
    Last edited by Doug Hilliard; 05-25-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added clarification on which side to machine the lower idler pulley
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Really REALLY cool Doug!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Really REALLY cool Doug!
    Thanks! It was a bit of a daunting project and took me a few weeks off and on, but I learned a ton and am really happy I did it! Can't wait to get back to VIR and push the car again without fear of the belt coming apart on me!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job Doug... I might have to do this too. I've went throught a belt already.
    2009 SBM G8 GT, TVS 2300, 1:1 Cogs, Forged Engine built by RCR, 65lb Fast Injectors, PWM CTS-V Fuel System, Lunati Cam, Manley Nextek Springs, Comp Pushrods, 4" MAF, Methanol Injection, 1 7/8 ARH, 3" Custom Exhaust, 160 Thermostat, Eibach Springs, BMR Suspension, 19" VMR v710 Wheels, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors w/ HPS Hawk Pads, Transmission Cooler, Tuned by Rick Crawford...Old Numbers 499RWHP 483RWTQ, 1/4 10.77 @129.50

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Thanks for doing the legwork on this and posting it up.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are going Green!

Nice job!
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to note: I pulled the power steering pump out and when I went to put it back in, I had a tremendous leak since I didn't replace the copper washer seals at the metal pipe connection. Crazy Paul was tremendously helpful in sending me drawings showing the part I needed to get to replace the washer plus how to do it along with the torque values to tighten it to; thanks CP!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
    Looks like you are going Green!
    You got me Brian; probably buying a Prius next!
    ...NOT!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 20 Questions

I was lucky enough to score a cheap blemish ATI 917345 off of Fleabay today, so it is time for 20 questions with Doug Hilliard:

1. Any advice for drilling the super damper for the roll pins. Install damper then line up Maggie drilling tool to existing crank holes? Pre drill damper then line up to existing holes on crank?

2. Lower idler - machined 5 mm off where? Did you do this yourself, or take it to a shop?

3. Any source for the Wagner W055-25? I found the place in California, but their stock was "In Transit"

4. Did you remove the alternator to machine the boss?

5. Innovators West PS Pulley must be manufactured out of gold or they are charging the Corvette tax.

6. Does the PS pump need to be removed to do the install?

That is not 20 questions, but I may think of more. Thanks in advance.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I was lucky enough to score a cheap blemish ATI 917345 off of Fleabay today, so it is time for 20 questions with Doug Hilliard:
    Awesome!
    1. Any advice for drilling the super damper for the roll pins. Install damper then line up Maggie drilling tool to existing crank holes? Pre drill damper then line up to existing holes on crank?
    I'm no help on this one; my crank is the CTS-V so it has a key as I recall and didn't need drilling.
    2. Lower idler - machined 5 mm off where? Did you do this yourself, or take it to a shop?
    All the machining was done by a friend of mine who is a machinist; the 5mm just comes off the whole pulley on one side so that it clears the block where it rides.
    3. Any source for the Wagner W055-25? I found the place in California, but their stock was "In Transit"
    Sorry; I got the pulley from a local alternator shop who ordered it and put it on for me; problem was they just bolted it on without checking to see if the clearance was right - it wasn't which is why I had to take the boss down.
    4. Did you remove the alternator to machine the boss?
    I did; I just used a saws-all for this and taped up the alternator to keep the debris out of it. Next time I would probably do it with a grinder but whatever works.
    5. Innovators West PS Pulley must be manufactured out of gold or they are charging the Corvette tax.
    Yeah, it is pricey!
    6. Does the PS pump need to be removed to do the install?
    I removed mine but I wouldn't recommend it; I think you can do it fine without removing it, and if you do remove it, you'll have to order the washer for the line as it will not seal again and requires a new one. Leave it in place and I think you'll be fine. You might try the pulley on the shaft as is, but I had to have mine opened up per the post as the interference was too much.
    That is not 20 questions, but I may think of more. Thanks in advance.
    I'm glad to help out and pleased others are benefiting from this thread! You're the second one now!
    Responses in bold.