Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Custom Radio Startup Logos

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, want this for my car.
    515 rwhp - 416 Stroker - 2015
    2009 G8 GT PSP, 6.8L Stroker 416ci,CM 228/234 .629/.629 LSA112 +2 Cam,PRC LS3 255CC CNC Heads,Trunion Rocker Upgrade,RCR Intake,FTI Stall 3600-3800,Trans Cooler,B&M flex plate,3.27 Diff LSD,UDP,1 7/8 OBXR LT SS Headers/SS, 3",Borla Mufflers,VCM OTR CAI,LS7 MAF 100mm,Patrick G. ECM/TCM Tune,Koni Shocks/Struts Yellow,Eibach Pro Kit Springs,LCA's w/Whiteline bushings,BMR Sub Frame Connectors,Spohn Tunnel Brace,BMR Fr/Rr Sway Bars,Suspension/Diff Bushings,PMT Rear Trailing Arms/Toe Links,Brembo's Front Brakes,Russell Street Legal Brake Line Braided SS,V8 6.0 Side Badges,GXP Diffuser,G8 Door Sill Plate,Red Shift Knob,SS Rim's,BFGoodrich g-force 255/35/20-285/35/20

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

So Apparently there's some questions on where the DIY Steps are for this.

Now as far as this goes, here's some DIY Pointers, and you'll see it's not really DIY material beyond step 'c'.. maybe 'b' for some

a) Have a G8/Commodore Radio
    b) Figure out where the Radio Graphics are stored
    c) Figure out how to get that data (can optionally involve creating a piece of hardware with chips on it, your own firmware programming etc to communicate with the radio depending on chosen approach)
    d) Once you managed to get the data on your PC, you have to decypher the binary data format for the images so you can extract them and see what they are made of. (Obviously they are not in a standard PC GIF,JPG,PNG or BMP format.)
    e) Probably want to write some software to do step 'd'
    f) Make some new boot logos based on the specification found in step 'd' in your favorite graphics program
    g) Encode your newly made boot logos into the expected binary format using another piece of software you wrote
    h) Put the new logos back on the radio and hope you didn't screw anything up or end up with a brick that doesn't start up (been there done that)

Consider the following:
    Is there a DIY on enabling VIM?
    Is there a DIY on enabling any of the 6 stock logos?

Instead these are being sold as services by several companies, and those are literally just a couple of byte changes. Why? Because they don't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing screwing up their radio and then yelling at them it went wrong.. This custom logo mod which is much more involved will probably go the same way with it being offered here in the US (by at least me), and by some other people down-under IF there is enough interest.

Right now the reason I'm not offering this 'for sale' yet is purely logistics: You need to either ship in part of your radio (which is a bit of a Pain in the *** to get out + then the down time), or be close enough to me so I can plug into your OBD port (which not to many people are, except Ben, so he'll probably be the first to get one ).

If you guys are interested and shipping-in is a non-issue, let me know and I'll see about setting up the GRRRR8.net shopping site again to get this ball rolling.

LONG range there MAY be a ship-OUT option where a programmer gets mailed out preconfigured to your VIN, selected graphics etc much like you see with VIM programmers etc, but I haven't even started work on that
    -= R.I.P Charlie =-
    2008 Panther Black G8 GT 888 Edition #470
    Texas-Speed 418 LS3, Patrick G 234/242 114LSA+2 Cam & Livernois Ported Heads & Valve-job, Roto-Fab CAI & Radiator Cover, Fasterproms Ported TB & Manifold, ECM/TCM Tune by PatrickG, 1-7/8" American Racing Headers, Circle-D 258mm 2800rpm Converter, Powerbond 25% Pulley, Pedders xA Street II Kit, HSV VE GTS Fenders, HSV VE GTS 20" Wheels (285/30 & 245/35), 20% Tint, Holden Rear Sunshade, Empty Wallet Mod(tm)
    http://g8gt.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    So Apparently there's some questions on where the DIY Steps are for this.

Now as far as this goes, here's some DIY Pointers, and you'll see it's not really DIY material beyond step 'c'.. maybe 'b' for some

a) Have a G8/Commodore Radio
    b) Figure out where the Radio Graphics are stored
    c) Figure out how to get that data (can optionally involve creating a piece of hardware with chips on it, your own firmware programming etc to communicate with the radio depending on chosen approach)
    d) Once you managed to get the data on your PC, you have to decypher the binary data format for the images so you can extract them and see what they are made of. (Obviously they are not in a standard PC GIF,JPG,PNG or BMP format.)
    e) Probably want to write some software to do step 'd'
    f) Make some new boot logos based on the specification found in step 'd' in your favorite graphics program
    g) Encode your newly made boot logos into the expected binary format using another piece of software you wrote
    h) Put the new logos back on the radio and hope you didn't screw anything up or end up with a brick that doesn't start up (been there done that)

Consider the following:
    Is there a DIY on enabling VIM?
    Is there a DIY on enabling any of the 6 stock logos?

Instead these are being sold as services by several companies, and those are literally just a couple of byte changes. Why? Because they don't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing screwing up their radio and then yelling at them it went wrong.. This custom logo mod which is much more involved will probably go the same way with it being offered here in the US (by at least me), and by some other people down-under IF there is enough interest.

Right now the reason I'm not offering this 'for sale' yet is purely logistics: You need to either ship in part of your radio (which is a bit of a Pain in the *** to get out + then the down time), or be close enough to me so I can plug into your OBD port (which not to many people are, except Ben, so he'll probably be the first to get one ).

If you guys are interested and shipping-in is a non-issue, let me know and I'll see about setting up the GRRRR8.net shopping site again to get this ball rolling.

LONG range there MAY be a ship-OUT option where a programmer gets mailed out preconfigured to your VIN, selected graphics etc much like you see with VIM programmers etc, but I haven't even started work on that
    Well said. The ship-out option maybe just closer then you think

Some people like rip off other peoples ideas or info (or just rebirth it). This is the new R&D - Rip off And Duplicate. Or there is the "information thief" (Hi Chris) that will give nothing out but leech you for information and use it for their own means. I mean, yeah sure its easy to grab someone elses VIM box (which one guy designed, the guy that actually DESIGNED the radio), rip the PIC chip code and flash a few of your own but where is the knowledge in that?? Wow you can change two bytes and you dont know how it does it! Change a couple of DIDs? Meh. Hell ive broken lots of modules and spent $1000s on a hobby breaking things, sometimes being able to fix them. All in the search of knowledge

I'll show you a trick, I can change ANY byte in that EEPROM without putting down my beer and opening the radio case, I can flash it over the OBDII port. I can flash ANY module in the radio. Or I could disable the security on the radio so it works on the bench or does matter what the VIN or what car its in.

Some of us worked with nothing, no hints, no code, didn't rip anything off, we had a pile of data and wanted to see what we could make out of it. I know Steve has waited a long time for this to come to fruition and I know the sole reason I started working on GMLAN as a hobby 2 years ago was for this very reason.

Enjoy guys coz this is just the beginning of a whoooooooooooole lot of things you can do with modules and without opening the box.. I dont mean just the radio, and i dont mean being tied down to using Tech2/SPS and its limitations
    Last edited by Jezzab; 07-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Holden VU SS Drag Ute (ex Daily) - 1010rwhp
    Holden VE SSV Daily Ute - 589rwhp

Post Thanks / Like

About how much are you looking to put a custom logo on a vehicle? Is it reversible?

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Subbed!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ... I give .. how the heck do I get this for my G8GT? Seriously, I want to know.

7. Likes Rbarganier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any updates??? Or anyone willing to tech someone that is willing to learn???

Post Thanks / Like

Can Nic not do this?

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

Nic can only do the stock logos these are anything you want