Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: help....i can't get in

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ONSTAR:
    Back-up Battery (BUB) (If Equipped)
    Important: Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB). This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the CIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Certain OnStar® equipped vehicles may also be equipped with a back-up battery (BUB). The BUB is a non-rechargeable, lithium battery intended to provide an auxiliary power source for the communication interface module (CIM) in the event of a vehicle collision where power from the main vehicle battery is lost.

The BUB is intended to have a limited life span of approximately 4 years and is designed to maintain an open circuit voltage between 16V and 9V throughout this period. This allows the battery to power the basic functions of the CIM for least one 200 second (5 minute) call at the end of the 4 year span, should a main vehicle battery loss collision occur.

The BUB is connected to the CIM through the back-up battery positive voltage circuit and back-up battery ground circuit and is protected from a short circuit by means of an internal fuse. In the event the BUB battery positive voltage circuit is shorted to the BUB ground circuit or chassis ground, the fuse will open and render the back-up battery permanently inoperable. The status of the back-up battery and its associated wiring is monitored by the CIM.

CIM = Communication Interface Module

Edit: GM Service Docs say the Back Up Battery is located somewhere near the centre of the rear parcel shelf.
    Last edited by Crazy Paul; 03-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Ice View Post
    Jack the car up and hook a battery charger to the cable on the starter .
    Just be careful .
    i was just thinking that i just hope it wont blow the relay ... now i just have to wait for a bit more snow to melt ..

where is the starter ? passenger side if im not mistaking?

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the newer car do indeed have a larger battery back up for onstar remote start. It sounds like something they would add - especially for something like a tahoe or a caddy.

Meanwhile - did you try your key again. Sounds like the simplest solution - you mention snow and whatnot. was there ice/snow on the door and window by chance.

could it be that the key hole got frozen inside. might just need a bit of heat.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300 View Post
    ONSTAR:
    Back-up Battery (BUB) (If Equipped)
    Important: Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB). This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the CIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Certain OnStar® equipped vehicles may also be equipped with a back-up battery (BUB). The BUB is a non-rechargeable, lithium battery intended to provide an auxiliary power source for the communication interface module (CIM) in the event of a vehicle collision where power from the main vehicle battery is lost.

The BUB is intended to have a limited life span of approximately 4 years and is designed to maintain an open circuit voltage between 16V and 9V throughout this period. This allows the battery to power the basic functions of the CIM for least one 200 second (5 minute) call at the end of the 4 year span, should a main vehicle battery loss collision occur.

The BUB is connected to the CIM through the back-up battery positive voltage circuit and back-up battery ground circuit and is protected from a short circuit by means of an internal fuse. In the event the BUB battery positive voltage circuit is shorted to the BUB ground circuit or chassis ground, the fuse will open and render the back-up battery permanently inoperable. The status of the back-up battery and its associated wiring is monitored by the CIM.

CIM = Communication Interface Module

Edit: GM Service Docs say the Back Up Battery is located somewhere near the centre of the rear parcel shelf.
    I always remembered there being talk of it having enough juice to start the car when the main battery was flat. If that's not true then my recollections are of course bad.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

The ONSTAR battery has 20AWG wire going to it. I'd love to see what happens if you tried to crank the engine over through a wire 1/32" in diameter
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

For those still curious, here is where the OnStar battery is:

Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

I think we kinda' lost our focus here. Don't crank it, just call Onstar and have them open the door.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

well the snow has melted a lot and the day i tried was about 8 degrees Celsius that is about 46 Fahrenheit so i doubt it would be frozen

im not subscribed to on star so that wont work

so far all i can think of doing is jack the car up disconnect the positive lead to the starter and connect jumper cables to it unless someone has a better idea

Post Thanks / Like

Have you at least touched base with OnStar to see if they can help you? Form the time it takes to make the call,
    it might be worth your while.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package