Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooker Maxflow or Dynomax VT?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooker Maxflow or Dynomax VT?

Yes, another one. One man's search for perfect exhaust is long and tiresome but the end result is worth it.

I'm set on my Headers and midpipe, now...just need an axle back to compliment it.

Narrowed it down to the Hooker Maxflows (leaning more towards these) or the Dynomax VT mufflers.

My criteria: nice idle (noticeable not obnoxious at 5am), smooth cruising, and WOT...you know.
    Obviously the drone is not wanted but I am aware some will be present.

I think I should be set between these two mufflers. Would like to hear opinions and personal experiences.

2014 Mustang GT- 6M/Recaros/trackpack
    Little of this, Little of that...

2009 MGM G8 GT
    SOLD

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard several complaints about the Dynomax valve flutter at cruise RPMS. I personally would not trust any moving parts inside a muffler. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooker Maxflow or Dynomax VT?

Yeah, that was one of my concerns as well.

2014 Mustang GT- 6M/Recaros/trackpack
    Little of this, Little of that...

2009 MGM G8 GT
    SOLD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deputycrawford View Post
    I have heard several complaints about the Dynomax valve flutter at cruise RPMS. I personally would not trust any moving parts inside a muffler. Just my opinion.

Jerry
    +1
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have VTs on my GT and son's stang. No noise from the valves themselves. There has been a revision,as I understand, as originally there was limited issue. I you look at the flapper valve, it would be difficult have a metal clanking noise due to the soft mesh seal material.
    IMG_2781.jpg

That all typed, quiet when cruising, no drone. Deep loud non raspy voice when WOT. Now, I will say, the idle can sound different sometimes, when standing directly behind...but don't hear on interior. It can have a "whisper" sound in addition to the normal. But no flapper like a truck sound. Sadly, for many products, once they get a bad rap on the internet, even if fixed it keeps getting repeated. I have read and based on my experience can understand that a big cam can make the valve swing a bit, but stock, it' not a problem at all.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good info jcmGT. I'm glad they are still working on the product. I actually like Dynomax mufflers. I have used them before. Don't want to keep spreading old problems.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I had them on my car after the cam change and they did clatter a little especially when coming to a stop. I think I got a set of the original design though. Dynomax warrantied them no questions asked and sent me a new set right off the line. I was a little nervous about installing them so I sold them to Macvangelist. He has had no problems with them that I know of. I replaced them with Ultraflows because I liked the wot sound. The lack of drone while cruising was amazing.
    Vararam, TSP cam, DOD delete, Livernois dual springs, Comp trunion kit, 1 7/8 Kooks mids, Dynomax Ultra-flows, MNM catch can, tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports

Eibach springs+FE3 suspension, BMR tunnel brace, Subframe connectors, and trailing arms, Asetto Garra 18s, BFG Sport Comp2s

TSS Concept darts, MM billet, Crazy Paul's Holden gear

Post Thanks / Like

Mine clatter its not very noticeible but i hear it and only at idle cause the HUGE cam my car with the 1C cam didn't make that noise the muffler I think you would like more is the Dynomax Ultra Flo
    2009 SBM G8 GT
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

Post Thanks / Like

I keep waffling between the Dynomax Super Turbo or the VT, with SLP PowerFlow sometimes creeping in... good info on the VTs, I've been leaning in that direction most lately.
    2009.5 MSM/Onyx G8 GT premium/sport/sunroof
    Wrenched and tuned by Reckart Performance Tuning in Cedar Park, TX USA

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have the Ultraflows and like them. They do drone though so they might not be the best for some people. Mine seem to drone less than the Magnaflows I had before. They are also pretty loud on cold starts. I have had 1 complaint from a neighbor. Luckily she no longer lives across the street from me.
    Vararam, TSP cam, DOD delete, Livernois dual springs, Comp trunion kit, 1 7/8 Kooks mids, Dynomax Ultra-flows, MNM catch can, tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports

Eibach springs+FE3 suspension, BMR tunnel brace, Subframe connectors, and trailing arms, Asetto Garra 18s, BFG Sport Comp2s

TSS Concept darts, MM billet, Crazy Paul's Holden gear