Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: DIY: Oil Pan removal/installation (GXP M6)

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY: Oil Pan removal/installation (GXP M6)

search keywords: remove the oil pan, oil pan removal, removing the oil pan

This was on a G8 GXP M6. I'm unsure how much would apply to other flavors. The Service Manual procedure is pretty good, but it is missing some steps & caveats. I added comments & pictures based on my experience. Overall, this job isn't difficult, just time consuming. I spent a total of around 7 hours which included a lunch break and 2 hours of cleaning the oil pan after it was off. Knowing what I know now, I could probably shave another 1-2 hours off.

I also have to give credit to these two resources, which I found helpful:
    -http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...l=1#post427876
    -And you tube video here, granted this is on a Camaro, and it explains some, but not all, of the required steps: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122560

Attached is a PDF for easy printing
    Oil Pan Replacement_My_Edit-2.pdf

And for your online viewing pleasure, the PDF pages uploaded as images.

"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

2. Thanks madmax032 thanked for this post
    Likes madmax032 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup!
    Wish my dealer had it when he did mine ;-(
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

4. Thanks AngryBird thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
    Great writeup!
    Wish my dealer had it when he did mine ;-(
    Thanks much. Very sorry to hear that things didn't go smoothly at the dealer for you.
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to throw this out there.
    If the heads are off, no need to mess with the steering.
    Just unbolt the motor mount nuts and pickup the motor to remove the pan.

7. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up! This is exactly what i was looking for. I took my G8 Gt into the dealership here in Angleton Tx, and they wanted $2700 to fix the oil pan leak! I told them id rather add lost oil for the remainder of the life of the car before i paid them 2700 to fix the alignment of the oil pan. Not sure if yall will see this before Sat. the 9th. But I will be also replacing the timing chain tensioner and putting in an LS2 tensioner according to the wisdom on the forums. This is the 2nd LS3 Tensioner i have broken. Will this all be able to be done with in the day? (10-12hrs)

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you/ Shameless Thread Resurrection

Good Afternoon,
    Thanks for providing this the FSM info and the writeup for this rather involved procedure! The extra tips were perfect. I just did it to my 09 G8GT this past weekend to install the AFM pressure valve shield and replace the oil pan gasket.

I unfortunately was not as quick as you as it took me 2 days to complete, partially because:
    1. The steering rack bolts were insanely tight/stuck
    2. I managed to drop a harness bracket bolt into the engine cradle/subframe and had a great amount of difficulty fishing it out

I just cannot stress how tight those steering rack bolts are as I had to use lots of penetrating oil, a cheater bar, and a dremel with a wire wheel on them. I wire wheeled the rusty exposed ends of the bolts that poke into the subframe when the bolts first stopped dead a few turns out. Once done with that, I backed out the bolts again and they siezed again so I tightened them back down. I tried an impact wrench next and it did not move those stupid bolts so back to my cheater bar, twist in/out+more penetrating oil. I finally got the bolts to the point that they continued to move with a sieze and POP motion until I had them all the way out. I have no idea how I didn't snap those bolts.

Before putting the stupid bolts back in, I wire brushed them and slathered them with tons of antiseize and they went in with with a bit less difficulty.

Hopefully the process has gone better for everyone else.

10. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this write up. It also helped me out this weekend.

A few things that I noticed was that I did not remove the wheels from the vehicle. Nor did I need to mess with the steering shaft or the steering rack.

Then again, I also replaced the water pump, harmonic balancer, oil pump, timing chain tensioner, front cover gasket and seal, engine mounts, and starter.
    Last edited by GXP25; 01-11-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos.
    2009 LR G8 GXP - M6, Roof, Onyx/Red Interior

Post Thanks / Like

OMG I would have given up if I had not found this thread. Could not figure out how to get the A/C lines or wiring harness off the front of the pan for the life of me.